Atlantic Beach Residents To Pay For Beach Parking

Atlantic Beach plans to charge town residents and visitors to park near the ocean.

Mayor Trace Cooper and town manager David Walker told the town council this week they want to drop plans to hire a private company to run a paid parking program at the public beach areas.

Walker says the new plan calls for the town to manage a $10-per-day program for parking at the beach.

The Carteret County News-Times reported the town council could approve the program at an April 25 meeting.

Town officials say they could raise more than $180,000 by charging for parking from May through September.

Cooper says he didn't want workers at town hall to have to administer a parking pass program for residents.

• by SFelts Location: New bern on Apr 25, 2011 at 07:46 PM
    This Story went public months ago. Months ago I made a online petition here> http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/boycott-emerald-isle-beach-nc-and-their-1000-a-day-parking/ Like the previous news story all of you will moan and groan. But you wont do anything about it. If you really care flood the Town Manager, Town Commissioners ,Mayor of Both Emerald Isle and Atlantic Beach with emails,and phone calls and raise as much H$LL as you can. Let your voices heard. Sign the petition and pass the petition to all your friends and family. And Yes Atlantic Beach is going to start charging 10.00 a day also... Either do something about it or give up. The choice is yours. Do something about it...
  • by GABBA Location: Newport on Apr 10, 2011 at 01:33 PM
    NO I REFUSE, I will fight this.
  • by wayne Location: apex nc on Apr 6, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    well first all the piers torn down and now pay to park near beach!! sounds like they dont want visitors or tourists, so i believe i will take my family elsewhere
  • by Ryan Location: Havelock on Apr 2, 2011 at 05:51 PM
    This is Absolutely criminal... You suck up the funds from the state and federal governments for beach replenishment, then you charge those that paid for it to park? WTF do you think you are! Atlantic Beach has been on a roll over the last 8 years to eradicate tourism in AB. They've removed everything that would draw a family there for a vacation and replaced it with condo's. I used to fish in AB all summer long, Used to go to the beach there too. I believe I'll be changing where I go from now on. The 10$ fee is more of a problem of principal, rather than the money.
  • by pete Location: grifton on Mar 31, 2011 at 05:23 PM
    Rusty you are late.When they sold and tore down the sportsmans pier I vowed to never return and have kept my word.it takes me 40 minutes longer to get to the outerbanks at nag's head and well worth the extra drive,let the sun worshipers have morehead.
  • by anonymous on Mar 31, 2011 at 05:07 PM
    Atlantic Beach officials must be watching a little too much "Jersey Shore" these days. You can keep your Snookies and your parking fees. My beach chair will be going elsewhere.
  • by Harry Location: Goldsboro on Mar 31, 2011 at 04:49 PM
    Lets see, to fish I have to buy a recreational fishing license. To stay in a hotel I have to pay sales tax on the hotel charges. I have to pay the local sales tax as well as NC State sales tax. In the restaurant my food is taxed. Another measly $10.00 per day for parking is not going stop me from going to the beach. Well at least Myrtle Beach. Atlantic Beach residents, beware of the pox your political leaders bring upon you.
  • by Local Location: NC on Mar 31, 2011 at 04:15 PM
    To Jared - I am a local and you are welcome at ALL the area beaches. WE DO WANT YOU. Do not be offended by the fact that locals have to pay taxes, trash pick up, police, fire departments, mortgage and etc. A lot of the tourist ARE trashy and trouble. That is a fact. How would you like to pay for someone else's fun? I don't think ANYONE should pay a red cent to enjoy the beaches least of of the locals. The nasty comments are coming from the folks (most likely) that don't even originate from this area. THEY THINK THEY OWN THE PLACE. Come on Jared. Don't stay away - you are as welcome as any big mouth property owner. The resentment is we as home owners are asked to pay AGAIN.
      by jared on Apr 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM in reply to Local
      thankyou local i would always come back anyways
      by jared on Apr 2, 2011 at 09:35 AM in reply to Local
      i agree no one sould have to pay for the great beachs
  • by Ed Location: Enc on Mar 31, 2011 at 04:02 PM
    Won't bother me,when i go somewhere i want it to be a place i can get my ten dollars worth.
  • by jared Location: pa on Mar 31, 2011 at 02:06 PM
    i would just like all to know who leave mean comments about us tourist that we are the ones that keep your town afloat no tourist means no money so id shut up. also im glad i go to emerald isle because there much nicer there all around the town because they apprecate our money and are nice so im glad i dont go to atlantic beach because you people there are plane nasty im not spending my money there.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Mar 31, 2011 at 03:12 PM in reply to jared
      No you don't. The local property taxes, utility customers, and year-round business patrons keep the town 'afloat'. Lose the VIP attitude, and adjust to the local color, if you will. Atlantic Beach is the MAIN PUBLIC beach since Emerald Isle and Salter Path decided locals weren't welcome anymore. Outsiders took the beach, and now want locals to pay to use the very land they live upon. Get real...
        by Anonymous on Mar 31, 2011 at 05:21 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
        Totally agree. They should also mandate that either construction starts or the circle becomes free parking.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118977509 - witn.com/a?a=118977509