A second wintry blast is hitting Eastern Carolina and area fire departments want to make sure you stay safe.
Greenville Fire/Rescue warns that portable or alternative heaters can create fire hazards if used incorrectly. They say only use heaters that are in good working condition, and make sure the heater has an emergency shutoff in case it is tipped over.
Kerosene can produce deadly fumes, so it is important that the room is adequately vented. Most manufacturers require a window or door to the exterior to be open 1-3 inches to provide fresh air. And make sure you you keep kerosene heaters at least three feet away from any combustible materials.
Many people try to beat the cold with electric space heaters. The fire department says you should never place those heaters under a desk or on top of something combustible. Since the heaters draw a lot of power, you should never use an extension cord with them.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.