Appeals Court: Dog Only Worth Cost Of Replacement

How much is a pet's life worth? The state court of appeals says, essentially, nothing.

Nancy and Herbert Shera of Wilmington sued the NC State vet school after their Jack Russel Terrier, Laci, died following a botched feeding tube during cancer treatment.

The Shera's want $28,000 from NC State, starting a four year legal fight over whether beloved pets have intrinsic worth.

The NC Court of Appeals has ruled Laci's owners are not entitled to more money than the cost of buying a new Jack Russel Terrier, about $350. The couple may appeal to the state supreme court.

• by James B Location: Washington on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    This story makes me sick. To think of how that dog died is heartbreaking.
  • by My 2¢ on Feb 22, 2012 at 09:59 PM
    A dog isn't worth 2¢ to me. I wouldn't have one. Noisy, smelly, destructive, dangerous...they'll eat anything if you leave it unattended and the vet bill...? Let's just say, I'll pay MY bill at the hospital...but the dog better have a credit card when we get to the vet.
      by Chuck on Feb 23, 2012 at 09:14 AM in reply to My 2¢
      I need to put in my 1 cent, because the probability of you being worth that would be unlikely
  • by Anonymous Location: Lenoir County on Feb 22, 2012 at 06:33 PM
    I had a beautiful dashund that was killed by a vet in Grifton. She was my best friend. I will miss her very much, but there is nothing that can be done for mistakes made by sorry vets.
  • by Anonymous Location: martin county on Feb 22, 2012 at 05:57 PM
    I do not know how much they spent on treatment for the dog. the dog died because some one inserted a feeding tube in the dogs bronchial tube causing the food to go into his lung which resulted in his death. if nothing else, due to this failure, whatever they had spent at the vet school for the dog's treatment should be returned to them. at this point I would say they are intitled to lawyers fees. now in human terms: if a med student inserted a feeding tube, the medical school would be responsible for any damages or losses. this should apply to a vet school as well.
  • by Deer dog hunters kill dogs all the time on Feb 22, 2012 at 04:21 PM
    I wish people would look into that more.. A bunch of hicks riding around in trucks with dogs stuffed in the back
  • by GSO on Feb 22, 2012 at 04:01 PM
    Unlike Humans, Dogs don't rape,rob,steal,murder,lie,cheat,molest or many other vile things the so called intelligent species of humans do. The arrogance of humans is astounding. A Dog is not property, it is a living breathing creature the same as humans.
  • by fight 4 fur-babies on Feb 22, 2012 at 03:51 PM
    I completey understand where the pet owners are coming from. I love my four legged babies more than I love some of my own family members. I would take great measures to fight for my babies to live if they were sick. I would rather be around animals than most people...example...like the people up here calling animals dumb and there life is not worth no more than what you pay for them. I am an animal rights person...they can not do for them selves or telling you when there hurting...domesticated animals can feed feed there self so they need us to take care of them, look out for them to make sure when they are hurt or sick they are taking care. They need us. If you think there dumb or you are not willing to take care of them the way they need to be...don't own one cuz it is people like you the reason why the shelters are. Animals are better than most people and love you unconditionally!!!!
  • by john Location: robersonville on Feb 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    So does this explain why when someone gets killed the person Who Did it gets to stay in jail and live Happy cause people are free were not bought
      by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 02:21 PM in reply to john
      You did get that this is a story about a dog... right...?
  • by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    I say they should get the money back that would have been charged for the feeding tube. Then they get to pick any dog they want from any shelter in NC for free.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    Anyone that paid $28K in prior services for a pet has more money than they know what to do with.....take the $350 and get over it.
      by Chuck on Feb 23, 2012 at 09:22 AM in reply to
      Pets are like children to some . It does not matter how much money they have. They paid the bill and could afford it. What would you do if someone killed your child by by not following up on what they are suppose to do?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 139953213 - witn.com/a?a=139953213