Apartment Complex Issues ID Cards After Shooting Death

About a week after a three-year-old girl was shot and killed on a playground, her apartment complex is taking steps to secure the community.

Police say 29-year-old Derrick Best shot three-year-old Princess King on the playground during an fight with another man. Best is still on the run.

The managers of the Grand at Day Point in Goldsboro have started issuing photo IDs to everyone who lives there. That will make it easier for police to spot outsiders. Residents say.. these security measures are long over-due.

"This place needs to be cleaned up," said resident Litisha Hardy. "I live here and I pay rent. I want my kids to be able to come outside, my grandkids to be able to come outside and enjoy themselves where their grandma live at."

The apartment complex has also promised to install more security cameras.

• by crewdog Location: goldsboro on Mar 11, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    "Some one who cares" more power to ya..You saw and see the light about that place and you are right..It does need to be closed down and leveled. Too bad the city just wasted a whole lot of our tax $ to renovate the place. Now the freeloaders have a nicer place to stay when they are doing there drug dealing,steeling, robbing and all the stuff they're good at.
  • by some ones who cares Location: goldsboro,n.c. on Mar 10, 2011 at 04:13 PM
    I use to live out there when my kid's was small,thank I thank my god that i got my family out of that jungle, that what they call that neiborhood back then. It was bad back then and it have not change yet. I tink that they need to just close this place down. Because as long as these young girls that live out there let these young punk free load and live in there homes with them not working, just laying around living of working people tax dollards to keep this place running,it is alway's gonna be something going happening out there.I Thank My God That I Got Off Of My Butt And Got A Job And Got My Kid's Out Of That Place!they did not grow up in that hood. they need to stop letting them youg boy's stay out there free loading. get a job why don't they!
  • by crewdog Location: Goldsboro on Mar 9, 2011 at 07:27 AM
    ID cards for what? Half the people that live there are criminals and already have a mug shot on record. Guess city taxes will go up again to pay for this latest farce. How about a curfew and a no loitering law? Drive by the complex anytime and all you see is trouble brewing.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Mar 8, 2011 at 04:12 PM
    Perhaps, what this complex needs is snipers sitting on the rooftops. Personal ID's will only help when the people are stopped for them. Police inside vehicles cannot scan IDs on people wandering about the park.
  • by GOLDSBORO on Mar 8, 2011 at 01:22 PM
    What the world is coming to is everywhere needs to be a gated community with camera's, but who pays for all this ? I have the means and fully intead to protect myself and my property !!!!! So drug dealers and addicts and thefts beware !!!!!!
  • by shameful Location: ENC on Mar 8, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    A little precious youngster lost her life to a criminal, and someone thinks an ID card is a solution? That is not only shameful, but shows disrespect to the family who lost their baby. Criminals will not be swayed by any ID card. While someone was trying to help, which is a good thing, this 'solution' is no solution at all. It's a card that will allow the coroner to ID dead people.
  • by anymam Location: washington on Mar 8, 2011 at 09:06 AM
    ban guns in the apartment complex--yeah right
  • by K on Mar 8, 2011 at 09:02 AM
    oh okay... let me make sure I have my ID card before I go outside because as long as I have it no thugs will rob or shoot me. REALLY?! how is an ID card going to help at all???! all joking aside RIP little girl and my heart goes out to the family
  • by tod Location: 7 springs on Mar 8, 2011 at 08:44 AM
    1st-prayers for the family of the little girl. 2nd- ID cards? really? When will people get it, thugs and criminals dont follow rules of order. We have thousands of laws/rules and most good people loosely at least follow them, but this guy had 60 plus charges in past. Judges should give tougher sentences and this guy would have been locked up and not shooting little kids. My kids school has a camera ad it prints your pic on an id badge when you go to visit and gives them the illusion of safety but if a Columbine type massacre was going to occur I doubt the shooters would stop to have a badge made and smile for the camera. Folks you can take 5 minutes to go to nc.gov and lobby your legislators for tougher penalties for repeat offenders and you can call the Sheriff and offer support and demand that judges toughen up an report crime when you see it in your hood. The life you save could be one just like this little girl.
  • by thinking Location: winterville on Mar 8, 2011 at 08:10 AM
    I would like to know how is the mother doing b/c I have a 2 year old and my heart goes out to the mother and father and the family R.I.P. baby girl

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117572878 - witn.com/a?a=117572878