Another Protest For "Occupy Greenville"

Several people in the east showed their support Friday for the "Occupy Wall Street" movement Friday afternoon.

"Occupy Greenville" held a protest at the busy intersection of Charles Boulevard and Greenville Boulevard in Greenville from 12:30 pm until 6:00 pm.

Around 1:00 pm fifteen protesters were holding signs, saying they're upset with the gap between the rich and the poor and our country's lack of jobs. Organizers say everyone from students to veterans to retirees were protesting.

The "Occupy Wall Street" movement first started in New York in September and has since spread to many locations across the country.

• by jb Location: onslow on Nov 13, 2011 at 08:37 AM
    obamas children,no job waiting for more gov. handouts,lazy folks...try working ...cud try fast foods...oh no then might hafta get up early lol
  • by Steve Location: Ayden on Nov 13, 2011 at 08:19 AM
    A crowd of......10's!!! What a powerful protest. I guess most of the typical protestors, you know the rapist and muderers at the other protests, were either busy getting their tax payer funded government check or already in prison.
  • by uh Location: enc on Nov 12, 2011 at 11:04 PM
    I think it serves the opposition's argument to characterize "occupy" protesters as jobless folks who are protesting for more benefits. That distracts from the fact that over 10 years of bush tax cuts, the rich have profited and the poor have become poorer. There is plenty of revenue in America- it has been absorbed by the upper class by virtue of their controls on government policy. THAT is what I call class warfare.
  • by Hal on Nov 12, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    Protestors are upset about the gap between the rich and the poor....lol...here's an idea: how bout go out and get a job, maybe even 2 jobs, and save your money. You can save some money and not buy things such as the computer or phone you are using right now to look at this post. I'm sure the computer or phone you are looking at are not made by the big corporations you are protesting (he he). Most people get rich through HARD WORK. They work and save and don't go out and buy things they can't afford. They don't take on overwhelming debt they cannot afford to pay back (to those big corporations btw). They don't take on college debts that are too expensive for them. I know some people who WORKED a few years through a military enlistment and didnt pay a dime for college afterwards. Of course you had to serve your country also (very un-liberal-like), but don't be scared of that, it may help you instill some self-pride and direction in life even before you set foot on a campus. Well, I better go, need some rest since I have to WORK ALL NIGHT to provide for my family. Wait, maybe I should just let someone else do this work for me...I don't want to pay my medical bills. If I protest with you guys, can you get some other American's money that they have earned and use that to pay my bills? If that would work out I would come out and drink some beers and make some signs and protest with you all. I can make awesome protest signs if I move into my mom's basement. She has lots of art stuff and glitter. MY sign would say "hey, even though I have this Iphone and a great lap top and TV at home, I am against big corporations."
  • by rich in g-ville on Nov 12, 2011 at 07:59 PM
    im in the 1% and all i got to say is...haters gonna hate. profit opportunities are everywhere, quit wasting your time protesting and come and join us!
  • by William Location: Strathern on Nov 12, 2011 at 04:59 PM
    I was a protestor there yesterday, and we ended up having 30 people out at the demonstration. We had plenty of support with horn honks, fist pumps and thumbs ups. True, there were some negative energy directed at us, but did not deter us at all. Some people driving by said they'll get involved next time. We did this demonstration in peacefully, and within our right to do so. I urge anyone that wants to get involved that you like our Facebook page because another demonstration is coming very soon. I hope the next one we will double in support. Occupy Together, Occupy Everywhere!
  • by Andrew Ray Gorman Location: Greenville on Nov 12, 2011 at 03:33 PM
    For the record, we had about 30 protesting at the intersection at the most at one time (around 2:30. I was one of them, and we received many honks and thumbs up in support. Maybe 3 people yelling out the window or making rude gestures. So those are odds I like. For everyone else, we are growing. Come to our facebook page and check us out.
  • by Zach Location: Greenville, NC on Nov 12, 2011 at 03:05 PM
    I'm really not sure where to begin. Everyone at Occupy Greenville has a job or is actively seeking. In fact the only reason they still aren't out there today is because they had to go to work. Sorry you arguments are terribly misinformed. These protesters are the people that actively pay attention to the constant injustices we face in the this country from the 1%. The fact that you call them names and tell them to "get jobs" means you are completely blind to what is actually happening. It also begs to be said that you probably deserve to be taken advantage of by large corporations and the Government if you are truly that stupid.
  • by Barlow Location: Winterville on Nov 12, 2011 at 09:30 AM
    The biggest "occupation" will be at the polling booths in 2012. Ask Republicans in Ohio, Maine, Wisconsin and Louisiana about the 99% in recent elections. They are just getting started.
  • by Fred Location: NC on Nov 12, 2011 at 08:32 AM
    Deaths at Occupy camps bring pressure for shutdown By TERRY COLLINS Associated Press US News OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Oakland police handed out eviction notices at an anti-Wall Street encampment and officials elsewhere urged an end to similar gatherings as pressures against Occupy protest sites mounted in the wake of '3' three deaths in different cities, including two by gunfire. Police first pleaded with and then ordered Occupy Oakland protesters to leave their encampment at the City Hall plaza where a man was shot and killed Thursday

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133722003 - witn.com/a?a=133722003