Suspects Arrested In Pitt County Robberies In Court

Three suspects arrested and charged in connection to a rash of armed robberies in Pitt County were in court Thursday morning.

James Acklin Jr., age 19, Marquail Mouring, age 21, and Julius Hobbs, age 21, were arrested.

During their appearance in court Thursday, a court date of May 19 was set for the three men.

The Pitt County Sheriff's Office and the Greenville Police Department say three suspects have been arrested in connection to a rash of armed robberies.

Authorities say 19-year-old James Acklin Jr. and 21-year-old Marquail Mouring, both of Greenville, were arrested Tuesday night at the Handy-Mart near Bells Fork Square on Charles Blvd. and Fire Tower Rd. in Greenville. Pitt County Sheriff Neil Elks and his wife, Greenville Police Detective Connie Elks caught the suspects while looking for them Tuesday night.

Police say before their arrests Tuesday night, Acklin and Mouring were out on bond, charged in the armed robbery of the Wingate Inn on S. Memorial Dr. in Greenville.

Click the Photos tab above for full-sized mug shots.

Following the arrests of Acklin and Mouring, lawmen say they arrested 21 year-old Julius Hobbs. Police say the three will be charged Wednesday with five counts of Robbery with a Dangerous Weapon. More charges could be filed against the trio.

Officials say the suspects are linked to armed robberies at three U.S. Cellular stores. One store was held up Tuesday night near the Walmart in Greenville, another in Winterville on Monday and the other in Ayden on Friday. They're also believed to have robbed several Kangaroo convenience stores recently.

Greenville police say their patrol officers "saturated the area" after the US Cellular store robbery in Greenville Tuesday night and identified key witnesses to the robbery. Police say using forensic information gathered at the scene, the Greenville Police Department broadcast a suspect's description and a possible suspect vehicle.

Officials say Sheriff Elks and Detective Elks made the traffic stop that led to the arrest of suspects previously named through Crimestoppers tips.

Police say investigators then searched a vehicle and an apartment at the Landing Apartment Complex. The two searches produced a handgun that looks similar to the one used in the robberies, captured on surveillance video. Police also recovered cash.

Christy Wallace, the public information officer for the Pitt County Sheriff's Office, says investigators determined the suspects spent some of the stolen money on hats and clothing at the Greenville Mall.

Previous Story:

The search is on for suspects following the armed robbery Tuesday night of the U.S. Cellular Store on Greenville Boulevard.

Greenville Police say around 9:00 p.m. two men with handguns robbed the store.

This is the third U.S. Cellular store in Pitt County to be robbed in five days.

We'll update the story as we get new information.

• by Just Me... on May 7, 2011 at 05:57 PM
    I don't know about you, but I couldn't live with myself if I did this. The shame it brings on family and friends would be too much to stand. I'd either commit suicide or move far, far away (once I got released from prison). I don't think I could look my mom & dad in the eyes after I did this dastardly deed.
  • by OpenCarry on May 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    Bringing a gun onto a college campus if you are not associated with the college (like these three thugs did) is only a Class 1 Misdemeanor in NC. But if you are a student over 21 or faculty, ad have a Concealed Handgun Permit (which required that you pass a State AND Federal background check, AND be fingerprinted and pay a $90 fee), and you carry your legal concealed handgun for protection in the thug-ridden neighborhoods that surround Universities like ECU, that is a Class G Felony... How is that right? Call your Representative TODAY and demand that CHP holders be allowed to carry on campus. Criminals and thugs KNOW that our colleges are all "self-defense-free zones", and their victims are prohibited by law from defending themselves. The prohibition against self-defense by people with CHPs on college property is a SICK joke, and needs to be wiped from the books. The law-abiding people of NC have the FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT to defend themselves--EVERYWHERE they go, ESPECIALLY when they have to travel through thug-filled neighborhoods like the ones that surround ECU's campus...
  • by Honey Location: Kinston on May 6, 2011 at 06:05 AM
    I KNOW 2 OF THEM ! COOL DUDES ! THEY ARE STILL HUMAN EVERYBODY ! & ITS PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE WORST & JUST BECAUSE U KNOW THEM ITS A DIFFERENT STORY. SO DONT TALK ABOUT THEM LIKE THEIR ANIMALS. YES, ITS NO EXCUSE 4 WHAT THEY DID BUT THEY WILL PAY THEIR DEBT 2 SOCIETY !
  • by FAMILY Location: GA on May 5, 2011 at 07:18 PM
    BEING A FAMILY MEMBER TO MARQUAIL M AND JULIUS HODDS I CAN SAY THEY COME FROM GOOD HOME WITH BOTH MOTHERS, FATHERS, GRANDPARENTS, ANUNTS, UNCLES, SITERS, AND BROTHERS THAT LOVE THEM AND TRIED TO BE THEIR FOR THEM IN EVERYWAY THEY COULD, BUT THIS IS THE PATH THEY CHOSE TO GO IN THERE LIFE RIGHT NOW. YES THEY HAVE TO PAY FOR THER CRIMES THEY ARE.AND WE WILL BE THERE ONCE AGAIN TO GET THEM ON THE RIGHT TRACK. BEING THAT BOTH MM,JH,COME FROM A CHRISTIAN BACKGROUND WITH LOTS OF PRAY AND WILL TO CHANGE IN THEIR HEARTS THEY WILL FIND THERE WAY TO LIVE RIGHT AND PAY THEIR DEDT BACK TO SOCIETY. i DONT KNOW JAMES BUT WE WILL PRAY FOR HIM TO AS WELL.WE ALSO APOLIZE TO THE VICTIMS TOO. DONT GIVE UP ON OUR YOUTHS WE ALL MUST DO MORE AS A COMMUNITY. THE GOVERNMENT DONT LIVE THERE WE DO.
  • by Bruce the Shark Location: Greenville on May 5, 2011 at 05:53 PM
    How? Oh How? Did their family, their schools, their churches, their community, their culture, and their churches all fail these three young men? Does anybody have an answer for this?
  • by Hmmph! Location: Greenville on May 5, 2011 at 04:19 PM
    Nothing to say really. I thought I'd simply see if WITN would post this, since they haven't posted the last two comments I put in. We'll see........
  • by Litedrinker Location: Grimesland on May 5, 2011 at 02:25 PM
    Hear No Evil ... See No Evil ... Speak No Evil ...
  • by Dave Location: Golds on May 5, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    I'm sure that they are good God loving boys who are just misunderstood.
      by Anonymous on May 5, 2011 at 11:34 AM in reply to Dave
      Misunderstood alright.Cant understand anything with the brain the size of my pinky nail.
  • by Crazy Location: Tarboro on May 5, 2011 at 09:46 AM
    Our justice system is crazy. If they go to prison, they can take college courses at the taxpayer's expense. Laws need to be changed.
  • by concerned about the black community Location: enc on May 5, 2011 at 09:06 AM
    So tragic. Yet three more black males with marred records and ruined potential, who will now spend a good portion of their lives behind bars. This underscores the 25% of black males 18 years and older who are incarcerated at any given time in this country. What gives, black community? The nuclear family unit in our community is nearly nonexistent, due to unintended consequences from welfare requirements that span the past 3 or 4 generations. Now it is the norm within our community for black men to be raised up by teenage mothers without any good male role models, and end up committing violent crimes or become another victim of violent crime. Time for an agape reformation to hit the black community! We desperately need the hearts of the fathers to be turned towards their children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, so the curse of fatherlessness can be lifted from our community (Malachi 4:6). Selah.
      by JMM on May 5, 2011 at 01:35 PM in reply to concerned about the black community
      I couldnt've said it any better myself. You touched on it, but I will go into detail. As I often read about the criminal activity that plagues the community, I can’t help but notice the ages of the offenders. As a 34 yr old male, I've come to believe, that those between 16-21 are the offspring of the knucklehead teen mothers that were in high school back in the 90's. Now, the offspring have aged, yet raised by mere children themselves, and are heading down a path of destruction. People like me, who dared to criticize this ongoing epidemic, were often shunned and made to feel as though I was being judgmental. I saw the writing on the wall. When our community began making it acceptable for teens to have kids, I came to realize our doom. Now the chickens have come home to roost and we are up the creek without a paddle.
        by Tish on May 5, 2011 at 06:35 PM in reply to JMM
        Not all teen moms have children like that i was a teen mom at 16 my son is now 35 & never been in any trouble & have always worked, I always let my kids know you not going to be no gang banger cause the streets will eat u alive, but i understand where u coming from cause i was just tellin a young man the other day if he use his head for gettin knowledge instead of tryin to be hard in the streets he could go a long way in life, because nothing is given to you , You have to earn it...
          by JMM on May 6, 2011 at 07:16 PM in reply to Tish
          Ms. Tish, that may be true about your reply, but noticed I said "teen moms of the 90's" Obviously, you were in the 70's, before my generation made this crap mindset so detrimental. Your son and I around the same age. Im sure he went to school around the same time around the same type girls Im referring to in my comment. So sorry, but the young ladies after yours and my mother's generation have distinctively dropped the ball.
      by JMM on May 5, 2011 at 01:37 PM in reply to concerned about the black community
      Continued: I pray for an agape reformation as well, but truth be told, at this stage, a lot of them are a lost cause and a waste of time. Reason being, the same women raising the male child, have no respect or desire to have respect for the fathers or themselves. More likely they weren’t raised with their own fathers in their lives. Point is, as often as not, the fathers are bashed and shunned, and crippled by the mother and their dependence on "the system" that it often forces the father and mother to never get along. All good men who want to be in their children's lives, but have a child by a "broken" woman, go through a difficult time dealing with those types. However, if youre a no-good "baby daddy" they seem to consistently give those types a break. The child catches on to the fact that both parents are rotten, and then he becomes a "get-over" driven drudge to society. Not saying thats the outcome for all, but it is the truth for most. So glad I was raised way different, by both living parents.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121221029 - witn.com/a?a=121221029