New Info: Fatal Accident On Road To OBX

One person is dead after their car ran into the back of a septic tank truck on U.S. 64 East in Tyrrell County just before the Alligator River Drawbridge into Dare County.

NC Highway Patrol says the driver, 47-year-old Maralyn Pledger of Columbia, was headed west when the crash occured. She was the only one in the car.

Troopers say 39-year-old Timothy Howlett of Columbia was driving the truck.

Troopers are still investigating and charges are pending. They say they have called out a reconstruction team.

The crash shutdown traffic on the stretch of roadway Friday night, but it has since been reopened.

• by Wanda Location: Hyde Co. on Jan 21, 2011 at 06:18 AM
    May prayers goes out to the family of Darlene. I have known her for a long time and I just found out this morning that she had pass. Darlene was a beautiful person and always kept a smile on her face I will never forget that about her. RIP
  • by Geneva Location: Columbia on Jan 19, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    God knows when he is ready for us to come home. Darlene was ready. For anyone who know her knew she lived the life,Not for GOD one day but evety day. Pray for us down here that we to may see God and your smiling face again. I loved you so much. your friend forever in the heart.
  • by Kathryn Location: Dare County on Jan 19, 2011 at 06:25 AM
    God needed his wonderful angel home with him. Ms. Pledger was kindness and faithfulness itself. We must know that we have not lost with her death, but gained with her life. She was my wonderful freind, and I loved her.
  • by Arlena Location: Roper on Jan 18, 2011 at 08:18 PM
    I am really saddened to hear about this, she was a co worker and friend. She was one of the sweetest people i've known. She will truly be missed. My condolences to the family.
  • by Anita Location: Columbia on Jan 18, 2011 at 07:46 AM
    Classmate, long time friend, positive person, hard worker,dedicated to her family & the lord. This describes the Darlene an AWESOME woman who was loved by all.
  • by Chicago Ortega Location: Manteo on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM
    My sympathy goes out to the family.I met Pledger durning my incarceration and she would always pray with me. She brighten up my days. I'm glad I got to meet her if only for a short while. Inmate Ortega.
  • by Elizabeth Location: Plymouth on Jan 17, 2011 at 01:48 PM
    Darlene was a very sweet and kind-hearted person whom loved her son dearly. My prayers go out to the family, they have lost a jewel but God has received an angel.
  • by Friend Location: Edenton on Jan 16, 2011 at 06:45 PM
    Darlene was a great person! She had a wonderful personality and willing to help anytime. She always had a smile on her face no matter what she was doing. Very hardworker! Such a sad tragedy! Praying for the family during this time of loss! May God wrap his healing arms around you during this time of mourning.
  • by amanda Location: creswell on Jan 16, 2011 at 03:37 PM
    So sorry to here this,she was a very nice person!!That road can be very dangerous lots of accidents have happened to and from the beach!!
  • by Michael Location: Vanceboro on Jan 16, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    Aren't commercial vehicles required to carry reflectors or road flares for this very situation? What about hazard flashers ? "Broke down with no lights on"? And where are Gerry's comments?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113655894 - witn.com/a?a=113655894