81 Year Old Killed In Fatal Wreck

A fatal accident Sunday night claimed the life of 81-year-old Juanita Bright of Chocowinity.

Troopers say the fatal accident happened right around 9 p.m. Sunday night on Highway 17 between Chocowinity and Washington. The location of the
wreck in the trooper's report is .2 miles north of Whichards Beach Rd. on Highway 17. Sgt. Crumpler says a car driven by Bright was traveling north on the highway, when she crossed the center line and crashed into an oncoming car.

An 18-year-old girl from Washington was driving the car that Bright's crashed into. She was taken to Beaufort County Medical Center, with non-life threatening injuries, according to troopers.

No charges are expected to be filed in the crash.

Sgt. Kevin Respess of the Highway Patrol says it's not clear why Bright drove into oncoming traffic, but it will be investigated.

• by lisa peacock Location: washington, nc on Nov 18, 2010 at 09:17 PM
    This is for Brooke, I am very sorry about the accident. The lady who hit you was my Aunt Juanita. I hope that u are doing well. And make a speedy recovery. I don't know if u will see this, but if u do, I would like to speak with you. You can email me at the address above. And, as for all the other comments-WE don't know what happened and probably never will. But I can guatantee you that Aunt Juanita never meant to hurt anybody. Again Brooke, I'm very sorry about ur injuries, and my family that God that you were not killed or hurt a whole lot worse. We are thinking about you.
  • by Tammy Smith Location: Shreveport, La on Nov 16, 2010 at 02:29 PM
    I'm a very good friend to the family of the young girl that was in the accident & I think it is sad that people have nothing better to do than assume they know what happened that night. Their was a tragedy in the loss of a life, and a young girl whom will forever be touched by what happened to her. You people need to get over it. Steph and Brooke, I am praying for your family & for the family that lost a mother, a grandmother, a wife, a good friend. I love you guys and want you to not listen to what people say because some people are just ignorant. May God continue to guide and protect you! Your sister in Christ, Tammy!
  • by Wanda Location: Grimesland on Nov 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    This is terrible! My heart goes out to the elderly woman and the young girl in the other car. I truely hope the younger lady heals quick with no futher issues and I am sure this is something she will carry with her forever even though it was not her fault so people need to watch what they say on this site. I will be praying for both families!!
  • by Brooke Location: Washington on Nov 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    I'm the girl that was driving one of the cars in the accident. My heart goes out to the family of Mrs. Bright. I'm terribly sorry. To sit up here and argue about teens and elderly driving is ridiculous..the woman is dead, and I may not be able to ever use my foot again. But I'm not up here blaming her. Everything happens for a reason and I am so blessed that God protected me in that crash. As I said before my heart goes out for the family of her and my family is praying for yours. God bless!!
  • by Stephanie Jones Location: washington on Nov 16, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    OK for all the people who have said the teen was texting. SHE IS MY DAUGHTER and NO she was NOT texting proof is with us cellular. As for the person who said WHO SAID IT WAS THE ELdERLY LADIES FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you watch the news The state highway patrol did pay attention.
  • by Anonymous Location: choco on Nov 16, 2010 at 08:59 AM
    I really wish people would stop arguing about stupid stuff on these blogs. A person (no matter her age) wrecked and lost her life because of it. Yes, I believe that people of a certain age shouldn't be driving if it would be a concern to other drivers, but people have the right to drive no matter their age. If people are that concerned about everyone elses driving, that puts them at risk of wrecking as well.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 15, 2010 at 11:57 PM
    Agreew/Den: It's also much more likely for someone with migraine disease that is on birth control pills to have a stroke. Should they not be driving either?
  • by Anonymous Location: washington on Nov 15, 2010 at 08:09 PM
    I knew the 81 year old lady that died in the accidnet. She was a relative of my neighbor and was a very nice lady. My heart sunk when i heard of this tragic accident. She will be missed. R.I.P. Ms. Juanita
  • by Matt Location: washington on Nov 15, 2010 at 06:09 PM
    Steph, I'm glad she's ok. The guys at work and myself were praying and thinking about you all, and will continue to do so.
  • by Eleanor Location: Janes on Nov 15, 2010 at 02:44 PM
    I haven't seen the story on the WITN TV channel, except this a.m. The name, etc, wasn't broadcast, I don't think.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 108038284 - witn.com/a?a=108038284