OFFICIALS: Juvenile Darts Out In Traffic & Causes Accident

The driver of a pickup hauling a boat was forced to slam on his brakes when a juvenile darted out in front of him on Highway 70 in Craven County causing the boat to slam into the back of the truck and come off the trailer.

The accident happened near Thurman Road. The boat blocked traffic in the West bound lanes of Highway 70 for awhile.

Highway Patrol says the driver and his son were headed east when the unknown juvenile jumped in front of him. That person then took off into the woods and hasn't been seen since.

There were no injuries in the accident.

Highway Patrol says the boat was a 20 foot Nautic Star which he estimated to be about $45,000.

• by Eric Location: Chocowinity on May 29, 2011 at 12:49 AM
    No news about the kid who tried to play possum with a truck hauling a boat? I'd think finding him would be something of a priority. Though he might be too "craven" to come forward. *rimshot*
  • by Confused Location: Listening area on May 28, 2011 at 01:09 PM
    The article reports that there were no injuries. The headline has a picture of an ambulance. Double duh!
  • by Anonymous on May 28, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    heard a loud racket next to my home one day. a big heavy tandem yard service trailer broke loose but the safety chains held. There's no excuse for not properly securing what you put on the road. So many let dangerous junk fly all over the road. I-40 seems to have a lot of that in the piedmont/middle of the state.
  • by Mike on May 28, 2011 at 06:30 AM
    This is obviousley not the drivers fault but it should be used a lesson for boat owners. I use the winch of course,along with a strap from the bow eye to the trailer. Bigger boats should use a turnbuckle. On the rear i use the 2 straps from the trailer to the eyes. I do this everytime i load the boat and i very seldom travel further than 5 miles. Those with out rear eyes or to small of eyes can allways use a gunwale strap. There should be no excuses for a boat coming off a trailer.
  • by hope the boat don't pass me Location: on yer rear bumper on May 27, 2011 at 08:23 PM
    the eye hooks that came on the rear of my trailer would not hold my 21' boat in place in an emergency stop/crash. They are not nearly strong enough. Attach a 10,000 lb rated rachet strap putting the reinforced hooks together under the boat and have a safety chain for the bow hook in addition to the winch cable.
  • by Jeb Location: New Bern on May 27, 2011 at 08:18 PM
    Thurman Road is not in James City, it past Taberna exit. Try Google Maps
  • by I bet on May 27, 2011 at 07:25 PM
    I bet I can guess where this happened. James City. They built a special raised crossing but I've yet to see anybody use it instead of running out in front of traffic.
      by Not Near Thurman on May 29, 2011 at 05:31 AM in reply to I bet
      That "crossing" is way down the road. Although, I agree that I've never seen anyone use it.
  • by Boater Location: NC on May 27, 2011 at 07:14 PM
    This is why boats have rear tie downs. Stupid mistakes can kill.Hope his ins. doesn't pay.
      by Anti-NAACP on May 27, 2011 at 11:27 PM in reply to Boater
      Ever hear of "jackknife"?
        by G on May 28, 2011 at 09:34 AM in reply to Anti-NAACP
        I jackknifed my truck and trailer, flipped the truck over in a ditch, and the boat stayed on the trailer even though it broke loose from the truck hitch (although the safety chains held.)

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 122756419 - witn.com/a?a=122756419