A Special Valentine's Day For Couple Following New Heart Procedure

Valentine's Day will be a special one for a Washington couple after an innovative heart procedure saved one of their lives.

85-year-old Joe Hofmann of Washington underwent the new procedure on January 30th at the East Carolina Heart Institute at Vidant Medical Center after doctors found two blockages in his heart.

The treatment, known as transcatheter aortic valve replacement, is a first for the Carolinas. It has now been performed three times in Greenville since January 23rd.

The procedure allows for aortic valve replacement without the need to perform open heart surgery.

Just ten days after being released, Hofmann is back on his feet and says he's feeling much better. He and his wife Doris credit the new procedure with saving his life. Joe says, "It's a new life. Really. Absolutely. I mean, if you had seen me before and now, they just gave me a new life." Doris says, "He would have died. There's little doubt about that. Because open heart surgery was not an option for him."

The Hofmann's say that thanks to the procedure they look forward to celebrating their 64th wedding anniversary this April.

• by Debi Location: Montgomery,Texas on Feb 19, 2012 at 01:07 PM
    I want to thank God for this new procedure and all of the awesome,compassionate,and truly God based doctors and nurses at the Heart Instiute of North Carolina that cared so deeply for the well-being and healing of my father. God bless you all..especially Mom and Dad. Love you all..Debi
  • by Stephanie Location: Jessup MD on Feb 15, 2012 at 05:00 AM
    I'm so glad you had this procedure. Now I get to visit with again. Our truck needs washing too (tee hee hee). We love you guys. Happy VD to our favorite young couple. All our love Steph & John
  • by so amazing on Feb 14, 2012 at 08:08 AM
    YAY FOR ECHI MAKING THIS COUPLES LOVE LAST A LITTLE LONGER. I know this family is so blessed and so happy to be able to have Mr. Joe stay with them a little longer. God bless the family and God bless ECHI for their amazing work.
  • by Tracy Location: Greenville on Feb 14, 2012 at 08:01 AM
    Happy Valentines to you two sweethearts and Happy early Anniversary. :)
  • by Janice Location: Montgomery Texas on Feb 14, 2012 at 07:43 AM
    Evelyn is like a daughter to me but thank God for this new procedure she gets to enjoy her parents alot longer. great article!!
  • by Evelyn Location: Heyde on Feb 14, 2012 at 07:15 AM
    This is my father. We are so blessed that he was a candidate for this procedure. Great article and I hope others become aware of this option for treatment. It gave me my father back!
  • by Doxielover03 Location: Grifton on Feb 14, 2012 at 06:50 AM
    Great story & Happy Anniversary!
  • by Fran on Feb 14, 2012 at 04:45 AM
    Doris and Joe, I am so happy for both of you. Thank you WITN for the good news story.
  • by Bethany Location: Washington on Feb 13, 2012 at 08:22 PM
    It's the stories like these that give the world a little piece of hope. Praise God for His work in the lives of this beautiful couple.
  • by Transplant Recepient Location: NC on Feb 13, 2012 at 05:24 PM
    Joe, I hope you enjoy your Valentines Day and many more!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 139254523 - witn.com/a?a=139254523