Court Dates For Suspects Charged With Killing Deputy

The suspects in the shooting death of a deputy last week are scheduled to be in court again on June 30.

Four people and a juvenile have been charged in the death of Nash County deputy Warren "Sneak" Lewis, who had worked with a fugitive task force for the past three years.

One of the suspects, 26-year-old Maretto Byrd, was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday on a misdemeanor intoxicative and disruptive charge.

Maretto, his 18-year-old brother Lamont Byrd, 16-year-old Kion Dail, 17-year-old Devine Slade and a juvenile are charged in Lewis' death. There is no word when the next court date is for the juvenile, as those records are not public.

Lamont Byrd, Dail and the juvenile are also charged in the murder of the Thomas Hinton in Kinston. The task force was attempting to serve warrants on the three last week when Lewis was shot at a home on West Lenoir Avenue in Kinston.

Lewis, who was 38, was laid to rest this week. He leaves behind a wife and two children.

To leave your condolences to the family of Deputy Lewis, you can click on this link

WITN has obtained 911 calls and law enforcement radio recordings from June 9, the night a deputy sheriff was shot and killed in Kinston.

Warren "Sneak" Lewis, who worked for the Nash County Sheriff's Office for nine years, was killed. Lewis was part of the U.S. Marshal's Fugitive Task Force working to find suspects wanted in the murder of Thomas Hinton of Kinston.

The lawmen were searching a building in Kinston when someone fired from behind an apartment door, hitting and killing Lewis. The law enforcement radio recording details when someone on the scene declared "officer down" and called for EMS. The exchange continues as dispatch gets the location of the deputy, and the best route to send an ambulance.

Following the shooting, five people holed up inside the apartment where the shots were fired from. Lenoir County released the 911 call from Lamont Byrd, a suspect in the Hinton murder and now in the deputy's death. Byrd alerted the telecommunicator as each suspect came out.

WITN's Brittany Creamer was on the scene that night, and captured video of lawmen dragging Byrd into custody. He was the last to leave the apartment.

Lenoir County released the tapes to WITN Monday, though the tapes were not aired until Tuesday morning, out of respect for the deputy's family on the day of his funeral.

• by Michelle Location: Wilson on Jun 14, 2011 at 08:32 PM
    With all due respect, why didn't the cops that were with Lewis shoot the guys that shot him? To be sure, there had to be time to at least wound these thugs so they wouldn't run off. Just my opinion...
  • by THE JUDGE on Jun 14, 2011 at 06:36 PM
    I'll bet they pleaded not guilty!
      by Probation Officer on Jun 15, 2011 at 05:28 AM in reply to THE JUDGE
      they have to on first appearance. if you were a "judge" you would have known that.
  • by Let God Decide Location: Kinston on Jun 14, 2011 at 04:53 PM
    They took the lives of a humble hardworking man who worked for a living, and an officer of the law who swore to preserve and protect. The wages of sin are death. Remember who is the ultimate judge in all this, and He will see no sin unpunished, especially when it comes to sin against his servants. I hope they pay dearly for what they've done, not only in this life, but in the afterlife, as I'm sure they have no remorse for what they've done.
  • by Mark Location: Middlesex on Jun 14, 2011 at 04:36 PM
    I have known Investigator Lewis and his family for over 20 years you will never meet a better family. I only wish that the cowards who had to shoot thru a closed door had to read the letters that his daughters have written. A 14 year old asking who will stand up with her when she gets marrried and that I dont understand why you had to go but I will always be your little girl,and a 11 year old asking who was going to comfort her the first time a boy broke her heart,and that she would try to fill his big shoes and look after the family. The only comfort in this is that there is a special place in hell for all 5 of these people I can only hope that it is on the front row,close to the fire as possible.
      by LEO's Wife on Jun 16, 2011 at 12:41 AM in reply to Mark
      My husband had worked with him on cases recently he went to the service on Monday and told me of the letters. My husband cried as he told me of the letters from his daughters. I agree with all my heart that there is a special place in hell for all 5 of them. I just hope they get there soon.
  • by Poor White Trash Location: the world on Jun 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    Last I checked we still had freedom of press. The same rights this officer and many others died for. If you don't want to see it don't look at it. As for the rest of us we would like to know what is going on.
      by Anonymous on Jun 14, 2011 at 02:38 PM in reply to Poor White Trash
      I agree!! We respect the officer and his family and are on your side! We want to make sure these little scumbags get what they deserve!! Death penalty!!!
  • by Anonymous on Jun 14, 2011 at 09:35 AM
    I am completely disgusted by the news coverage from this story. All the videos, recording, and pictures. These ppl are having a hard enough time dealing with this tradegy. So please have some respect WITN!!
  • by General Location: Public on Jun 14, 2011 at 09:14 AM
    Exactly right LP. No need at all to publish this, it serves no purpose.
  • by Robin on Jun 14, 2011 at 08:46 AM
    I agree, this is distasteful. Have some respect!
  • by wish it ended different on Jun 14, 2011 at 08:19 AM
    To bad it didn't end like Cary.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 14, 2011 at 08:11 AM
    This should not be on here!!! Have a little respect, Your doing nothing but hyping these little thugs that are nothing but cowards that shoot through doors then come out crying when they find out they have no place to go. I hope all 5 do a double life term. They are worthless. I do hope the liberal people that have enabled this type of behavior by helping the poor lower class people in the getto and calming down the big bad heavy handed police are happy, this is the outcome of us turning into a weak society. RIP SNEAK

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123804364 - witn.com/a?a=123804364