Court Dates For Suspects Charged With Killing Deputy

The suspects in the shooting death of a deputy last week are scheduled to be in court again on June 30.

Four people and a juvenile have been charged in the death of Nash County deputy Warren "Sneak" Lewis, who had worked with a fugitive task force for the past three years.

One of the suspects, 26-year-old Maretto Byrd, was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday on a misdemeanor intoxicative and disruptive charge.

Maretto, his 18-year-old brother Lamont Byrd, 16-year-old Kion Dail, 17-year-old Devine Slade and a juvenile are charged in Lewis' death. There is no word when the next court date is for the juvenile, as those records are not public.

Lamont Byrd, Dail and the juvenile are also charged in the murder of the Thomas Hinton in Kinston. The task force was attempting to serve warrants on the three last week when Lewis was shot at a home on West Lenoir Avenue in Kinston.

Lewis, who was 38, was laid to rest this week. He leaves behind a wife and two children.

To leave your condolences to the family of Deputy Lewis, you can click on this link

WITN has obtained 911 calls and law enforcement radio recordings from June 9, the night a deputy sheriff was shot and killed in Kinston.

Warren "Sneak" Lewis, who worked for the Nash County Sheriff's Office for nine years, was killed. Lewis was part of the U.S. Marshal's Fugitive Task Force working to find suspects wanted in the murder of Thomas Hinton of Kinston.

The lawmen were searching a building in Kinston when someone fired from behind an apartment door, hitting and killing Lewis. The law enforcement radio recording details when someone on the scene declared "officer down" and called for EMS. The exchange continues as dispatch gets the location of the deputy, and the best route to send an ambulance.

Following the shooting, five people holed up inside the apartment where the shots were fired from. Lenoir County released the 911 call from Lamont Byrd, a suspect in the Hinton murder and now in the deputy's death. Byrd alerted the telecommunicator as each suspect came out.

WITN's Brittany Creamer was on the scene that night, and captured video of lawmen dragging Byrd into custody. He was the last to leave the apartment.

Lenoir County released the tapes to WITN Monday, though the tapes were not aired until Tuesday morning, out of respect for the deputy's family on the day of his funeral.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123804364 -
Gray Television, Inc.