6 Horses Killed In Trailer Fire While Traveling On I-95

The Highway patrol says just before 10 pm Friday night on I-95 North near mile marker 135 in Rocky Mount a tractor trailer transporting 6 thoroughbred racing horses from Florida to New York caught fire killing all the horses.

Trooper Heath with the Highway Patrol says the driver of the tractor trailer said she smelled smoke and pulled over and realized the hay inside was on fire. She tried to extinguish the fire but was unsuccessful.

Three fire departments responded. Once on the scene, they realized the fire was started by a cigarette they say that a passer-by most likely flicked out of their car. West Mount Fire Dept was in charge of the scene.

Both northbound lanes of I-95 were closed about 45 minutes. The road is now back open. The driver of the trailer was not the owner of the horses.

• by TiredOf Smokers Location: Oklahoma on Apr 26, 2011 at 05:27 AM
    Im tired of having to smell cig smoke first thing when I walk out the door. we banned it from inside so lets have everyone stand around the door and do it. I hope they prove that the driver caused the fire and she never gets another job driving. and as for all of you other smokers, go jump in a lake for all i care, its a disgusting habit that kills people, and now abviously animals. I know its your lungs, but what about second hand smoke. With everyone getting sued these days I'll be happy when smokers get sued for dishing out cancer to waiters and waitresses.
  • by lisa Location: ny on Apr 24, 2011 at 04:22 AM
    it is obvious she threw a butt out and it flew back into the trailer,,,,those trailers are 15 ft high no cig from a lower car....could of done this....were was the divers helper,,,big rigs with 6 race horses should of had a second person.....if she had time to try to put fire out she had time to pull down ramps for horses .....these horses were prob..3 head to head facing each other... why weren't the middle ramps pulled down ...when she first noticed the fire... it would of been easy to do this....ive have show horses and traveled all over country showing..the first concern would be to lower ramps and get horses out.....not trying to put cig fire out....
  • by No Smoking Allowed Location: Pitt Co. on Apr 23, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    Attention Smokers. The EARTH is not your ashtray. Be responsible and extinquish your butts properly. If you choose to kill yourself by smoking, don't flick your butts into everyones world. What does North Carolina, the tobacco industry and their money have to do with an irresponsible smoker. That's a bad way to justify your sin.
  • by CAS2011 Location: Greenville on Apr 21, 2011 at 01:25 PM
    I've glanced and skimmed through the articles and Robin I know how quickly things can go bad in an instant. I ride for leisure and I hate that this happened even though I am not fond of racing horses. To the person that said riding or racing a 2yr old is too young that is not so. MOST horses are broke to ride by 3yrs old, so you might wanna read books before typing. I am not out to bash anyone, but those that can not read that they were untrained and it was an insurance scam you are truly sick. I know how hard it can be to get one horse out of a simple trailor if something spooks them and the danger you put yourself in trying to get them out.
      by Dar on Apr 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM in reply to CAS2011
      Wrong!!!!!! re/your statment on traning/racing 2 yr. olds. Placing heavy training on a horse under 5 puts the animal at risk & can cause permanent damage. Years ago when I was endurance riding/racing, horses under 5 were not allowed because of the immaturity of the horses' bones/joints. This AERC rule continues today. There is a big difference between basic training/light riding & heavy training. Instead of reading books, talk to a large animal vet.
  • by Joanne Location: Goldsboro on Apr 18, 2011 at 05:54 PM
    I'll tell you right now that cigarette smokers are the worst for throwing trash on the roads. I walk everyday and the trash from smokers is atrocious. Why do they think they can sit at a stop sign and empty an ashtray right there on the road. Flinging butts out the window is only the tip of it. I know it's really not relevant to the story but I needed to vent about this subject.
  • by anonymous Location: FLORIDA on Apr 17, 2011 at 01:10 PM
    Except one of these horses was owned by my family members. It is a shame when the driver, was indeed smoking. Nothing personal to smokers... but really c'mon... smoke in your personal time, not when it can obviously effect others. Since she was a smoker, she obviously shouldn't have been smoking at this particular time, and due to her unfortunate mistake, WE have lost one of our best thoroughbred horses..potential derby contender for next year... gone! Thanks to someone who couldn't control or overcome their addiction--someone else has to pay!
      by Anonymous on Apr 18, 2011 at 10:35 AM in reply to anonymous
      i a very sorry for your loss. i cannot begin to imagine the pain you and your family are going through. i believe that people that smoke should NOT do it indoors or in their vehical or in public, however it is not up to me to tell another human being what they should or should not put in their body. just my opinon. i hope you can have some comfort in knowing that there are many people that are feeling a lot of pain too along with you and praying that these horses didn't go through too much agony. it is indeed very sad :(
      by beatrice on Apr 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM in reply to anonymous
      Do you know for sure the driver threw her cigarette out of the window ? If not how can you blame it one her.It could have been some one else who drove past them.I know your hurt and angry,but blaming her isn't going to change things and you need to be sure it was her before publicly blaming her !!!!!!
      by KYbreed on Apr 23, 2011 at 06:25 AM in reply to anonymous
      Sorry for your loss but as far as I know it hasn't been determined that the driver was the cause of this fire. You could say ALL the horses were Derby contenders. We all know just because a horse is good doesn't mean they'll make the Derby.This was an accident, that's why people insure their investment. Nothing in life is a sure thing, count your blessings.
  • by ME Location: USA on Apr 17, 2011 at 05:40 AM
    WHY DONT PEOLE SHUT THERE MOUTH ABOUT SMOKING IT IS THERE LUNGS NOT YOURS WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF INSTEAD OF EVERYBODY ELSE YES I SMOKE WHATS IT TO YOU?
      by Non- Smoker on Apr 17, 2011 at 08:21 AM in reply to ME
      Did you actually read how the fire happened??? It's people like you that not only start fires this way but also litter the highway's and streets with your disscusting habbit. A shame in innocent horses were the victums.
        by Vickie on Apr 17, 2011 at 09:03 AM in reply to Non- Smoker
        You should really take back the comment,"it's people like you" (@ME).Just because one decides to smoke,does not mean they re careless as this ONE person who threw a butt out.If I see you blow your nose in a restaurant,does that mean I can safely assume everyone does it?
        by Anonymous on Apr 18, 2011 at 10:39 AM in reply to Non- Smoker
        no it is not people like "me" that do these things. there are responsible smokers AND drinkers. there are people that do not smoke in their car. they don't drink and drive. they don't do either in public. it is wrong to stereotype a certain person for a flock of people. i think everyone is upset and wants to lash out on whoever and whatever. the best thing to do is to get this out to the world and if you know or see this going on anywhere, simply say something to them and try to be nice about it. you may just save some horses along the way by bringing it to their attention.
  • by HL Location: NC on Apr 16, 2011 at 09:18 PM
    Many horse lovers are smokers and they are very aware of the danger! They do not smoke in barns for this very reason! I assure you if the driver is a smoker-he didn't throw the butt out! Fire is a horse-lover's nightmare and believe me they are careful. Two-year olds are babies-this is too horrible to imagine. How typical for non-smokers to use this as a chance to slam it. You don't have to sit next to a smoker in a restaurant, but now, I have to sit next to a drunk with a gun!
      by Anonymous on Apr 17, 2011 at 09:06 AM in reply to HL
      Yes,and we also have to sit next to the women who smells to high heaven with that stinking Rapture,or watch the old men blow there nose and pick hairs from there nose while I am trying to eat!!!
  • by Verse Location: NC on Apr 16, 2011 at 08:06 PM
    Wondering if the driver is actually a smoker as well......?? It is a thaught, has it entered anyones minds?? I think I would keep it a secret too if it were me driving.
  • by margaret Location: pink hill on Apr 16, 2011 at 06:46 PM
    friends , no matter how it happened my heart breaks for the terrible way these poor horses had to die . it is so sad there was no way these animals could not help themselves. i am also a horse lover .

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119961709 - witn.com/a?a=119961709