NEW INFO: Three Generations Of NY Family Killed In Wilson County Wreck

A New York family returning from Disney World was devastated Saturday evening when women representing three generations were killed in a wreck on Interstate 95 in Wilson county.

Trooper G.G. Barnes of the North Carolina Highway Patrol said early Sunday that a 22-year-old woman, her mother and grandmother were killed when the family's SUV blew a tire on northbound I-95 in Wilson county, the driver lost control and the vehicle overturned.

Barnes identified the victims as Rosanny Marte, 22; Angela Marte, 46; and Rosa Marte, 71. Five other family members in the vehicle -- including the husbands of Angela and Rosa Marte, and Angela's two other children and nephew -- remained hospitalized early Sunday with non-life-threatening injuries. Barnes said the family is from New York City.

Barnes said the two older female victims were not wearing seatbelts and were thrown from the vehicle, which came to rest off the highway.

• by anonymous Location: Greenville, NC on Aug 22, 2011 at 07:04 PM
    Unless I missed something - the article does not state that one of the deceased women was driving. It could have been one of the (male or female) survivors. Why is everyone using the pronoun "she"?
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Aug 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    That's really sad and scary to know that a blown tire could just devistate a family killing 3 people. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. May God be with them at this difficult time. I-95 is one dangerous road if not the most dangerous road in the United States. I hate traveling on I-95.
  • by dixiegurl7 Location: eastern nc on Aug 22, 2011 at 09:31 AM
    God be with this family.
  • by Barbara Location: Stantonsburg, NC on Aug 21, 2011 at 07:44 PM
    So sad to hear of this tragedy. I try to avoid I95 whenever possible because of the excessive speed of so many drivers and the heavy traffic flow. I was driving south on I95 on Saturday, driving 70 mph and it seemed as though I was traveling in reverse. No wonder there are so many accidents there.
  • by DJ Location: East Coast on Aug 21, 2011 at 06:55 PM
    RC I agree she was NOT going 70MPH like the article states. Sounds like they are trying to pass this off as some horrible accident that couldn't be avoided. Sorry all but this is just WRONG. She was doing at LEAST 90 MPH (and probably even faster) and almost hit several people weaving in and out like a race car driver. How do I know this? I WAS THERE returning from Disney World myself. Not even 20 cars after she passed me this tragic event happened but it was not an accident. This was unfortunately caused by her reckless driving at such a high rate of speed. The story tries to make it out like she was only doing 70 MPH and the tire blew and how horrible a tragedy this is. It is horrific but was completely avoidable. More likely she overcorrected while passing someone and that is what caused the rollover (or the blowout). This I find unacceptible because what it she had hit someone and killed them too? As sad as this is it was only her vehicle involved but could have been so much worse at that high rate of speed. This is also why you wear your seatbelt all. Was she? I didnt notice the article mentioning it.
  • by Delores Location: Beaufort, NC on Aug 21, 2011 at 04:23 PM
    So tragically sad and deepest sympathy for all family and friends.
  • by ???? Location: Greenville on Aug 21, 2011 at 04:11 PM
    TO DARWIN AWARD JUST 1 WORD U ARE SOOOOOOOO IGNORANT!!!!
  • by Anonymous on Aug 21, 2011 at 03:05 PM
    What is sad is the number of people who are telling people how to inflate their tires, how to drive, and what happened when they were not there. I find it hard to believe some of the comments I read here. Darwin Award Winner wins the Christian of the week award with his/her totally inappropriate comment. Once again people like darwin award winner help prove that so called christians in NC are hypocrites.
  • by RC on Aug 21, 2011 at 02:50 PM
    I was traveling the same route and she was not going 70. I was doing 75 to 80 and a whole group of cars including hers passed us by weaving in and out. It happened about 30 seconds after we were passed by this group acting like NASCAR drivers. It was a young person and others paying the ultimate price for a mistake. God bless the rest of the family as their lives are forever changed.
  • by Edgar Location: Almanzar on Aug 21, 2011 at 02:03 PM
    It is with great sadness that I write this post as personal friend of The Martes. They belonged to our local Jehovah Witnesses' Congregation and were an exemplary, faithful and caring family. Who would imagine that death was going to set them apart on their family vacation? May Jehovah God give the survivors strength and remember the ones who die on the day of resurrection. Amen!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128133253 - witn.com/a?a=128133253