Person Of Interest In Greenville Shooting

Greenville Police Chief William Anderson says they have a person of interest in the weekend shooting in downtown Greenville that injured three people.

The shooting happened early Sunday morning behind Club Phoenix after closing time. Anderson says they're trying to determine where an altercation between a group of people began that ended with gunshots in a parking lot of 4th Street and Reade Circle. Anderson says there were hundreds of people in the parking lot where the shooting took place.

As part of the police department deployment plan --several officers were on scene and responded to the location of shots. Chief Anderson says after what happened Sunday, they will see if changes to their plan need to be made. "Not only because of this incident but we are constantly reviewing our plan to see if there is any motifcations that needs to be made or things we think that need to be done. My command staff met this morning and talked aboiut it and we are going to make some minor adjustmments but pretty much the plan will stat intact."

Police say the current plan is to funnel people out of downtown as quickly and safely as possible.

PREVIOUS STORY:

Authorities say three people were shot in Greenville on Sunday morning.

Lawmen say at 3 a.m. Sunday Greenville Police responded to a report of shots fired in the parking lot located at East 4th Street and Reade Circle, that's behind Club Phoenix.

At that location, lawmen found Jeffrey Staton of Greenville and Terrance Grimes of Ayden with gunshot wounds. Kiesha Wilkins of Colerain contacted police at the scene a short time later advising that she also had been shot at that location.

Staton and Grimes were transported to the Pitt County Memorial Hospital where their conditions are unknown. Wilkins injuries were very minor and did not require transport to the hospital.

WITN spoke with some people who were downtown at the time. One person said, "I heard gunshots and immediately heard screams." Another person said, "The second the gunshots were fired you saw people sprinting from downtown, crying, like they didn't know what to do with themselves."

Police say they are investigating whether there was an altercation at Club Phoenix that led out into the parking lot.

The Lawyer for the club released this statement:

There have been numerous news stories reported after the downtown shooting this morning relating that shooting to an alleged “altercation” that occurred at Club Phoenix. Management for Club Phoenix, together with their security company have spent the day reviewing videotape taken from with in Club Phoenix. The tape reviewed was 4 hours and 15 minutes in length and covered the period of 10pm Saturday night through 2:15 am Sunday morning.

Club Phoenix has a security system that utilizes 12 separate cameras, and is monitored on a 24 hour basis. During the relevant period of time Saturday night and Sunday morning, there were no altercations that occurred inside Club Phoenix. This has also been verified through interviews conducted with all staff working during those same times.

Cameras monitoring the outside of the club toward the alley and the building next to the lot where the shooting occurred indicated no problems beginning at 1:45am when the club began its normal closing procedures. Greenville Police Officers were present in the alley beginning at 1:45 am at a barricade that directs patrons onto Cotanche Street, and away from the lot where the shooting occurred.

Club Phoenix has taken the initiative to cooperate with Greenville police over the past several years, and has participated in club security training put on by the police. Additionally, Club Phoenix employs off duty Greenville Police Officers to insure that patrons to the club and the public are safe, and that a safe environment is promoted both in and around the club.

As always, the management of Club Phoenix will assist the Greenville Police in providing any information that police officials feel is helpful, including access to its security tapes so that they can independently verify our findings. It is unfortunate that Club Phoenix was singled out by the police and media as the location where the altercation began when there is no basis to support those statements.

The Management and employees of Club Phoenix hope those that were injured will recover fully and quickly, and that those responsible for the shooting are apprehended and prosecuted.

• by Just a Teacher on Mar 15, 2011 at 04:05 PM
    @Lamar-You are so blessed! Congratulations on graduation-young people like you give me hope for the future. I started going downtown in the late 70's to party, ended up working in a club in the late 80's. I felt totally safe walking to my car at 2:30am alone-even if I had to go a few blocks. Downtown was a part of my social world for many years-I met so many fun people! We drank (sometimes a LOT!), but if someone got rowdy they were asked to leave. If they didn't, they were escorted out by one of the "no neck group" and the club mgr called around and made sure the other bars/clubs knew about it. IDs were always checked unless it was a "regular". So many great bands at the Attic, live music everywhere-and you never had to even think about guns. My kid is going to attend ECU in the fall and I don't know if I even want him to go downtown. @Rob-I remember Rafters, and Chapter X before that. I loved downtown and planned my social life around the Attic schedule!! Good times!
  • by Wilma Location: Greenville on Mar 15, 2011 at 09:17 AM
    Peacewarrior, you tell us all to get off of the internet and take back our city and our streets. While I understand what you are saying, do you think anyone in this city would care about me if I was downtown, unarmed, and I made a decision to take back my city and my street and I got capped in the head? The appropriate personnel need to support us in doing this. I sure as heck am not going to take my chances against criminals and thugs that believe that law is not meant for them, and would shoot someone in cold blood if they were contested in any way. I'm sorry, but i'm not going there, I have too much to live for. So, I am very frank when I tell everyone what the problem is, and how it could be fixed, but I choose to think of my family first, and how life would be if I was not here. Extreme measures of authority need to be taken that go beyond a picket downtown or any suggestion you have. More extreme than anyone wants to address.I know this, so I take care of my family first.
  • by Wilma Location: Greenville on Mar 15, 2011 at 09:10 AM
    Peace Warrior, your comment 3/15 @ 2:21am was a good one. Let me give you another perspective though. I legally own a firearm, and I feel that I have the appropriate training to protect my family in my own home. With that being said, I do not feel comfortable going out in public, or to places where the potential (high potential) to have to protect yourself is high. I am a firm believer in staying out of trouble as well as avoiding places where trouble exists on a constant basis. If I want to party, I do it in my own home, in a responsible environment, with friends that I know and trust. I do not frequent this city after say 11pm, and very rarely that late in almost all circumstances. All of the trouble revolves around alcohol, late nights, thugs, and a lack of authority allowed by our LEO's. I feel very safe in this city during the day. You couldn't pay me to go downtown at night, especially late. That is very sad for legitimate business owners. (Continued in another post)
  • by Matt Ress Location: NC on Mar 15, 2011 at 06:59 AM
    The problem here is the World has changed and it won't be changing back anytime soon. Crime is out of control. The misguided people doing the crimes have no real parenting or guidance at home...zero discipline...zero accountability. Don't tell me you can't control you kid, parent. That's bs. Secondly, college kids don't drink the way they did even a decade ago. For far too many of them are out of control, too. And, I do think the downtown clubs support underage drinking...no matter what they say. And, they city is so bogged down politically, that no one is free to really, really address this...sad.
  • by Allen Location: Greenville on Mar 15, 2011 at 05:21 AM
    Peace Warrior, you are right in everything you said. And like Rob, I refuse to not go downtown. After visiting New Orleans a couple of times and seeing what Bourbon Street is like, I see no reason why crime can't be gotten under control on 5th Street. You think Greenville has crime? Take a look @ NOLA's statistics, and then take a walk down Bourbon @ 2am and see if you even feel remotely threatened. Downtown used to be what made this town a fun place to live. I for one think it's passed time for us to get back to that point.
  • by Peace Warrior Location: Washington/Chocowinity on Mar 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM
    If you look at this from a rational perspective, if the people of Greenville want to take their streets back then all they have to do is just that - take them back. It's really just that simple. Sure, you may have an altercation or 2 at the onset. In time, however things will only change for the better. Do not wait for the police to "do their jobs" or the city council to impose restrictions. Get involved and do something yourselves. You need nonviolent, peaceful protests that show the "thugs" that the people will not be intimidated or kept silent about neighborhood problems. What you have now is apathy from everyone that lives there and continues to let this type of environment thrive. Peaceful protests. Community watch groups. Concerned citizens. That's all it would take. Nothing more. Stop bickering about race and class and actually get up out of your chairs and off of the Internet, organize and believe you can make a difference. I will be more than glad to help.
  • by student Location: greenville on Mar 14, 2011 at 09:23 PM
    cops need to fight the right crime and acutally do their job not arresting student for drinking what does that solve nothing, just make it just as worse and more useless stuff for the city to deal with. go after real criminals and fight crime. the city officals and police are corrupt someone needs to investigate this town, its not safe or healthy....many friends have been reconsidering going to school and living here in greenville
  • by 519Rob Location: Greenville on Mar 14, 2011 at 07:58 PM
    As the owner of 519, I would like to say how sad it makes me to hear so many people call for the end of bars and clubs in downtown Greenville. ECU students, their families and alumni have been coming downtown and having a good time for almost a half century. It has only been over the last 5 or six years that problems have escalated, culminating in a double murder in the summer of 2009. These problems however are not the fault of our historic clientele mentioned above. It is a criminal element, systemic to the city at large, that has begun the takeover of downtown Greenville. As a club owner, I feel as victimized as anyone else in this city. I took my first drink downtown in a club called Rafters in 1987, when things were much different. I have loved downtown ever since. I know married couples who met in my bar. And I will be @#*!%$ if I will tuck my tail between my legs, as city government encourages us to do, and go somewhere else.
  • by A. Cox Location: ENC on Mar 14, 2011 at 07:56 PM
    I agree with Cynthia. The suggestion I would offer to the clubs are, if you are 18-22 you must have a college ID or Military ID for entry. Those 23 and over must have standard valid driver's license or government issued ID for entry. I think this will curtail some of the knuckleheads from getting in who go out only to look for trouble.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Mar 14, 2011 at 03:49 PM
    Everytime I suggest creating private clubs and closing downtown bars, I get censored. Hinting that certain types of people are the same low-lifes that go out to bars and then, shoot each other in the a.m. while leaving, also gets censored. Bottomline; avoid public bars downtown Greenville and find a 'new place to dwell/party'. People who have no sense of direction go out with a 'piece' and 'fire first' when irritated; go figure out where they come from.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117892639 - witn.com/a?a=117892639