FIRST ON WITN: 2nd Youngster Brings BB Gun To Same Onslow County School

For the second time since Wednesday a youngster has brought a BB gun to the same Onslow County elementary school.

It happened again this morning at Southwest Elementary School, that's outside of Jacksonville.

In the latest case, a seven year old boy is accused of bringing the weapon to school, showing it to a friend who then told a teacher.
After school on Wednesday a five year old boy was found with the same make and same model of the gun.

School officials says the two boys, one who is in first grade and the other in kindergarten, don't know each other. Both boys face disciplinary action through the school system.

Sheriff Ed Brown says a juvenile petition will be filed against the seven year old.

Parents told deputies that the BB gun pistol had been thrown in the trash and was evidently retrieved by their son without the parents' knowledge.

The Sheriff's Office says in the first case no criminal charges will be pursued because given the ago of the boy they don't have the authority to bring charges.

• by srcaufalot Location: farmville on Feb 6, 2011 at 03:46 PM
    What happen to NO WEAPONS,NO Guns, No Drugs on School Grounds Policy.Why are there signs posted around campus to make it look pretty. Should read NO RULES APPLY if the rules are forced !!!
  • by G on Feb 5, 2011 at 07:31 AM
    Responsible Gun Owner (Overprotective Parent): You have just exemplified what is wrong with kids today. They are over-protected to the point that they never develop responsibility. I was shooting a BB gun at the age of 8, a rifle by 10 and a pistol in the backyard (rural area) by the age of 12, with my parent in the house. By actually shooting a gun, you develop an understanding for what they can do. You realize kids 50-100 years ago would take guns to school and hunt on the way home?
  • by sarah Location: windsor on Feb 5, 2011 at 05:19 AM
    To: Rusty Due to the fact that it was brought on school property makes it criminal. The penalty is usually about a 45 day suspension. If the child is not in special education, the school system does not have to provide in educational assistance. Can you imagine if children had been injured by the BB guns in class? True, they probably wouldn't have died, but what about serious injuries and emotional scarring. I was shot in the foot by a BB gun when I was a kid and that bone in my foot left one of my toes disfigured. So, BB guns aren't really a basic toy. Back in the day, kids listened to parents and the BB gun would never reach the school's grounds, but in today's world, kids RULE!
  • by RdoubleD on Feb 4, 2011 at 04:49 PM
    Shootout at the Chocolate Milk Corral, high noon.
  • by wook wa Location: wilson on Feb 4, 2011 at 01:48 PM
    There you go,looks like the local folks get their gun training in early. Any newcomers from Arizona out that way ? Has the NRA been sponsoring these training sessions or is it locally financed ?
  • by ME Location: Jacksonville on Feb 4, 2011 at 01:20 PM
    @ it depends it actually depends on what you call minority. (White?) I think it is the parents responsability if you can't contrl kids at this age I guess I will see them on national TV in some years saying "But that was the first time they killed someone"
  • by really? Location: nc on Feb 4, 2011 at 01:16 PM
    what does being a minority have to do with anything and why does it always have to be about race? Right is right and wrong is wrong, and if a child isnt taught the difference how are they supposed to know they did wrong? People of all races commit crimes everyday and no its not mostly a minority school if you must know
  • by Mom Location: NC on Feb 4, 2011 at 01:05 PM
    He is just a baby. Let's get a little common sense here. Punish him yes, but this is not a middle schooler or a kid in high school. I doubt he understands this was a no no.
  • by It Depends on Feb 4, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    Is this a mostly minority school? If so, I would let this behavior slide. The kids are just preparing for their future. I see no problem with it and I would think that their parents would understand and condone BB guns @ school. Maybe if the kids learn gun safety at an early age, less people will be more than just innocent by-standers. Target practice might be a good idea to help them survive as they grow and progress into the sweet little mamma's boys that every parent dreams about.
  • by Responsible Gun Owner Location: Greenville on Feb 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    I own many guns of which are locked away from my kids. My kids WILL NOT touch a gun, not even a toy gun until they are over the age of 15 and hav PROVEN they are mature and responsible enough to handle one. I say charge the parents for neglect! Children this young should not have access to any gun period!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115300484 - witn.com/a?a=115300484