POLICE: Rocky Mount Man Beaten For $1.99 Beer Has Died

A 67-year-old man who police say was beaten by a group of teens has died.

Rocky Mount police report Juan De La Cruz died Saturday at the hospital in Greenville.

Authorities say a group of up to ten teens stole a 24-ounce beer worth $1.99 from Cruz and assaulted him in November. The attack happened behind Turner's Mini Mart on Benvenue Road.

Because of Cruz's death, police are now working to upgrade the charges for the teenagers charged in the crime. Police will meet with the District Attorney's office following the autopsy this week. Six teens were originally charged with common law robbery and assault inflicting serious bodily injury.

Three of the suspects in the case are 16 years old. They are Mikel Jones, Trekwan Dickens and Xaviera Davis. Two of the suspects are 14 years old, and one of them is 13 years old.

Previous Story from November:

Three more teens have been charged in the robbery and brutal assault of a Rocky Mount man Saturday night and police say it was all over a $1.99 container of beer.

Mikel Jones and Xaviera Davis, both who are 16 years old, and a 14 year old juvenile have been charged with common law robbery and assault inflicting serious injury.

Rocky Mount police say Juan De La Cruz remains in critical condition at Pitt County Memorial Hospital with head injuries. Officers say a group of up to ten teens stole a 24-ounce beer from the 67-year-old man and assaulted him. The attack happened behind Turner's Mini Mart on Benvenue Road.

Police say they were able to arrest three suspects that night, while three more were arrested Monday and Tuesday morning. Those juveniles have been sent to the Pitt County Juvenile Detention Center, while the others have been jailed on $20,000 bonds.

• by Gabe Location: Flecher on Jan 18, 2012 at 07:17 PM
    I agree that they don't deserve life. They deserve death! These are brutal animals. The man they beat to death had friends and family too. THEN HE WAS BEATEN TO DEATH. Plenty of people don't have life handed to them on a silver spoon and yet they somehow still are able to get through life without beating people to death. Let God judge their souls and let the judge execute their behinds!!
  • by FTJ on Jan 14, 2012 at 08:47 AM
    All I hear Is they deserve life, to Rot in prison, This that and the 3rd. They are wrong YES.. do they Deserve time.?? Absolutely.! But Life in prison? NO. If that was your children you would have a different out look! I knew two of them personally.. They're NOT animals!! Theyre Troubled teens who made a mistake that I'm pretty sure they will regret until they die! and it's not all the parent's fault! As a parent you raise your kids the best you can and you PRAY it works out! Everybody doesn't have life handed to them on a silver spoon. So dont Judge, Only god Can.
  • by dirty harry Location: Washington on Jan 11, 2012 at 03:49 AM
    I commented twice about this. Story but Witn didn't post them.u wait until I talk to marvin.every buddy blameing teachers parents for this its no one's fault but the boys they no wright from wrong I vote they get the electric chair with a dry spounge.
  • by Donna on Jan 10, 2012 at 05:16 PM
    These teens should ALL be tried as adults with their parents sitting next to them. Parents are responsible for the actions of their underage children in NC. We have a 67 year old man dead because of these thugs. The State needs to step up to the plate and give STIFF prison time to let other teens know the cost of their decisions. I pray for the family who lost their love one and I also pray justice will be served to the teens at the highest level of the law. Parents should know where their children are at all times. I remember when we caught a 10yr old stealing from a store and it took three days for LEO'S to FIND his mom. He ended up in Juvenile Detention and I bet that was the most attention he had ever had.
  • by Sickening Location: ENC on Jan 10, 2012 at 09:26 AM
    It does NOT matter how old these thugs are. They are MEAN and should be tried as slimy adults! They should be locked up with the worst of the worst until death takes them where they deserve to go. PERIOD!
  • by Moon on Jan 10, 2012 at 07:20 AM
    Teens! Sheesh!(Well, all teens aren't bad...I'm not bad and I'm a teen...) 1 freakin' can of 2 dollar beer?! I'm all spiritual and stuff,(spiritual and regligus r 2 different things!) and I've done a lot of reserch on wolves, 'cause they Natives think of them as 'teacher,' and if we were more like wolves, all this stupid crime wouldn't exist! God, some peaple are just greedy money-crazed jerks!
  • by heartbroken Location: Edward on Jan 9, 2012 at 09:35 PM
    This is soooo sad. My heart goes out to the family and the ones that did such a horrible crime. A young man was assulkted August of 2010 and left bleeding on the ground in Edard and he later died. May God Bless the family that have to lay their love one to rest because of stupity. It is soo crazy.
  • by Erin Location: Williamston on Jan 9, 2012 at 08:33 PM
    It's sad to hear that these teens out here think it's cute to go around robbing people left and right. This is one of the reasons why I really want to start my business in mentoring. I know I can't help every one out here. I believe that these teens should be charged with a life sentence so that can learn a lesson.
  • by Question on Jan 9, 2012 at 07:45 PM
    Can put these guys in with the dude who raped the dog.
  • by Tired on Jan 9, 2012 at 07:44 PM
    1) They will all probably be back in the streets in 5 years. 2) Welfare pays more if you have more kids, in effect, legitimizing the career of popping out 'lil thuglets' so don't expect this to end any time soon.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134342528 - witn.com/a?a=134342528