NEW INFO: Eight Injured After Van Strikes Hog Truck

The Highway Patrol says eight people were injured when their shuttle van sideswiped a hog truck this morning in Gates County.

Trooper Jeff Archer tells WITN News that two of those people were seriously injured and had to be flown to a Norfolk hospital.

The accident happened around 8:45 a.m. on U.S. 13, near Tinkham Road. Archer says the loaded hog truck was northbound when the van struck it. The 15-passenger van went off the road and into a small patch of trees. He said the van was carrying home employees of the Newport News Shipyard.

The injured were flown to area hospitals by medical helicopters from Greenville and Norfolk. The trooper says charges are pending in the crash.

• by Anonymous on Dec 24, 2010 at 01:40 PM
    In ENC we like our BBQ and pork products as much as the Cardiologist do. It's only natural to be concerned about the poor little piggies.
  • by Vickie Location: Grimesland on Dec 24, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    What is SO wrong about the person asking a question about the pigs?It's not like the article tells us if they survived or not.Some people just like to make a mountain out of a molehill.
  • by Janora on Dec 24, 2010 at 09:19 AM
    I love animals, just fine...but the idea that people are showing more empathy for the pigs on their way to be slaughter for YOUR Christmas dinner than for the hard working men on their way home to their families is mind boggling! My deepest prayers are with these men and their families....and for all of you that love pigs more than your own brothers...God bless all of you.
  • by I knew.... Location: ENC on Dec 23, 2010 at 08:19 PM
    I hope the folks involved will be ok but I knew there was going to be a wreck cause I heard the tires "squealing"!
  • by Ke-Ke Location: NC on Dec 23, 2010 at 06:52 PM
    I cant believe people can be so insensitive. i happen to be the aunt to one of the guys that had to be airlifted and is in critical condition. i dont care about the piggies but i do hope and pray my nephew and the other person that was airlifted makes it thru their surgeries ok. my other nephew that was on the van is doing ok
  • by Debbie Location: Eure on Dec 23, 2010 at 04:52 PM
    We will keep those who were involved, and their families, in our prayers. I thank the Lord that this accident was not worse than it was. May you find comfort and healing in the Lord, Jesus Christ.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 23, 2010 at 03:29 PM
    It's good to at least see that someone cares about the poor animals.
  • by lewis on Dec 23, 2010 at 03:01 PM
    i second about the poor piggies. I hope they get along well, along with the people who are going to eat them.
  • by Justin Location: ENC on Dec 23, 2010 at 01:45 PM
    To Anonymous on Dec 23 4:21 pm..... Your post has to be the most insensitive comment I've read up here. I hope something bad like this never happens to you..... But if you do end up in the hospital, I hope I'm the first one to laugh at your misfortune. I hope all of the people envolved are home and ok for Christmas.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 23, 2010 at 01:21 PM
    What about all those poor pigs?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112375499 - witn.com/a?a=112375499