Firefighters: Be Safe When Heating Your Home

By: April Davis/ Hilary Magacs
By: April Davis/ Hilary Magacs

As the cold air moves in, a local fire department is warning people using fireplaces and space heaters to be careful.

Greenville Fire/ Rescue says people should always have fire places and chimneys checked and cleaned before using them for the first time each season to prevent the chance of a fire. They say if you're using a kerosene heater, it's important to make sure it's filled with kerosene and not gas, which is explosive. They also say there should be a 3-feet radius around kerosene and electric space heaters.

"You want to make sure with the heat that it's giving off that there's not combustibles in the area, where it would cause the materials to combust and start a fire and have to have the fire department come out and visit you." said Greenville Fire/Rescue Lieutenant Greg Hardee.

Lt. Hardee says having your electric or gas heating system serviced once a year is also important.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Ya Never Hear... on Jan 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM
    Clean you portable heater. Those little fan-forced units get clogged with dust bunnies sometimes.

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136552263 -
Gray Television, Inc.