Fines For License Plate Frame Violations Start Wednesday

You'll need to get rid of that oversized license plate frame by Wednesday or it could cost you.

A new law takes effect December 1st mandating plate frames not obscure any printed material on license plates. That includes the numbers and letters, the state name, and even the number and month on registration renewal stickers. If you break the law you'll be fined $141.

• by whostolemybeer Location: nc on Dec 6, 2010 at 02:11 PM
    i think i will mail my fine ahead of time
  • by To James: on Dec 6, 2010 at 07:35 AM
    Oh and BTW there are only 15 plate designs for NC (including the new nascar, before there were only 6). Look at their website basic plate with a light house doesn't constitute as radical change to the plate.
  • by To James: on Dec 6, 2010 at 07:32 AM
    Your dang right I can distinguish all plates from NC and other states. I am sorry if I pay attention to every detail while driving. You can give me a test and I will pass with flying colors. Just because you drive to get from point A to B and not pay attention to the details doesn't mean we all do.
  • by So Stupid on Dec 6, 2010 at 07:27 AM
    Most people will only be able to get the license plate number if they are lucky. It is very hard at any distance to see most state names. Law enforcement training should require all officers to know all 50 plates. They should really be working to outlaw those after market headlights that blind people at night and causing accidents before this.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 3, 2010 at 06:18 AM
    "I am asked for my license, which is looked at with a flashlight. Then, the officer walks to the back of my car, looks at the license plate, returns my license to me & then tells me to have a good night." So you think he was "just checking for a plate cover?! No, it was prob a DUI checkpoint; in which they also check licenses, registrations (sometimes), and for current and legal tags. What is the real reason for your complaint here? Is a stupid plastic frame THAT important in your life? It's seems like very few people understand that this law makes it easier for LEO to do their job! GROW UP FOLKS.
  • by srcaufalot Location: farmville on Dec 2, 2010 at 05:01 PM
    Just another way for the State to scam money out of us,Just Legalize Medical Marijuanna.The State pasted a law to turn your lights on when ya use your windsheild wipers.Don't see anybody in court for that.Laws are made to be broken just like a promise.Obama broke his promise to the people,so now what ?????
  • by To Billy on Dec 2, 2010 at 03:24 PM
    As the "anonymous" Porter Town driver, I DON'T know the whole story, because I wasn't told why I was being checked. 12-20 cars lined in both directions. 20 law enforcement officers. I am asked for my license, which is looked at with a flashlight. Then, the officer walks to the back of my car, looks at the license plate, returns my license to me & then tells me to have a good night. As I pull away, I see 5-6 cars that have been pulled over to the side. Please, since you are part of the "we" that stopped me, if there is more to the "story", share with the public!!
  • by lulz on Dec 2, 2010 at 05:32 AM
    @ Mr. Obvious - That's the typical northern thing to say. That's why you're looked down upon by the rest of the country.
  • by Mr. Obvious on Dec 1, 2010 at 07:18 PM
    This is just the typical southern thing to do. That's why you are looked down upon by the rest of the country.
  • by garris Location: ayden on Dec 1, 2010 at 06:58 PM
    If anyone that does not like this law you need to contact your elective official.And when they have a checkpoint they need to have the driver to cut there headlights on to see if both are working.Also I am glad that they change the way a 30 day tag is now it's big enough so you can tell when it expires.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111091539 - witn.com/a?a=111091539