STUDY: Working Moms vs. Stay-At-Home Moms

Here's a study that may spark a debate. A new study suggests working moms may be healthier and feel happier than stay-at-home moms.

The research from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro included survey data from more than 1,300 women.

They found mothers who worked part-time were just as involved in their child's school as stay-at-home moms.

• by TN Location: Duplin County on Dec 20, 2011 at 01:43 PM
    1,300 moms isn't much of a study. Also, is this related to schoolwork or total parent involvement? Two notes for the Quantitative Analysis 101 students at UNC-G: A) Most mothers would rather be eaten by sharks than admit they don't pay attention to their kids. B) My mom stayed at home until us kids were older. Rarely did she help me with homework, because rarely did I actually bring it home.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 17, 2011 at 05:57 AM
    Some Moms work hard, slinging that stuff all around town goldigging on their backs!!! LOL!
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Dec 15, 2011 at 01:29 PM
    Personally speaking from experience, I was happier being at home when my child was under the age of 5 yrs. old. I tried daycare working, but he stayed sick, or I disagreed with the daycare's procedures about care and discipline. Ultimately, I stayed home until he could TALK and entered school. I have never regretted that decision. We were able to follow a meal/homework/play routine. Today, that grown child tells me how much he appreciates that 'time out' I took. It can be done; no gas for work; dedicated time to the child's issues (think school work, school bus people, sick times), and money saved on home-cooked meals. Time spent with your child in the FORMATIVE YEARS?...priceless.
  • by anonymou Location: greenville on Dec 14, 2011 at 08:24 AM
    This is a debate that will go on forever. Do whatever is best for your situation and don't worry about what anyone else thinks about it.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 14, 2011 at 07:02 AM
    Too much time away from kids if you work. Moms who work not only deprive their kids of her time but leave others to raise her kids. That is scary in itself! Your children are subjected to all kinds of other backgrounds of kids they are with. Then you have to come home, cook, bathe your kid, homework, clean up and leave no time for yourself before you crash. Don't foreget she does laundry, bills, yardwork, breakfast, dresses them and gets them off to school if the kid is lucky. If your going to have a baby for goodness sakes stay home if it is at all possible or leave your kids with a relative! Some do not have that luxery but if you can, DO IT unless you just love working and being a tired super woman or it's the only way you can pay bills. God Bless you if that is the case.
  • by Did Both Location: Winterville on Dec 14, 2011 at 06:08 AM
    I stayed home with my kids until they were 6 and 4. I did feel like if I heard the Seasame Street intro one more time I would scream. However, now both grown, well adjusted, great jobs and their own families. The son in law wanted to be the stay at home Dad while Mom worked as she made more money. That lasted literally about 6 wks and he was done. Everyone has their own situations and have to do what is best for their individual family. I wish we could keep babies out of the nurseries until 2 yr old just to keep them away from so many colds, viruses, etc. My mother always said why do people want to have babies and then let someone else raise them and enjoy them. Don't forget every year you do stay home your Social Security puts a great big 0 on that year to be averaged in for your lifetime of working income.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Dec 15, 2011 at 01:32 PM in reply to Did Both
      You're right about the value S.S. puts toward our earning history, but I only have two years in the history of my working years, with a '0'. Those were child-rearing years. I have no regrets.
  • by Skeeta Location: Greenville on Dec 14, 2011 at 12:06 AM
    I work full time,36 hours a week. I never miss any function my daughter has at her private preschool, I cook dinner most nights out of the week, I do laundry, I have watched my daughter take her first steps, crawl, taught her the ABC's, how to count, colors, shapes amongst other things before she ever went to preschool. and I teach her that it is possible to be an awesome mommy (which she definitely tells me everyday)and have a susccessful career too. I am raising a young woman who will know that she can do any and everything she wants too with focus. I don't knock stay at home moms, I beleive that they do a lot and respect their decision. As for me and what works for my family, working is my choice.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Dec 15, 2011 at 01:34 PM in reply to Skeeta
      You sound like a wonderful Mom. Our children are our future, and they DO remember who/how they are treated in their formative years. Keep up the good work; it paid off for me and my husband.
  • by Secreat on Dec 13, 2011 at 02:23 PM
    You all don't know how to work the system! I get welfare and go to Comunity College for free. Don't pay a dime! My mother watches my kids, while I study to be a Nurse!
      by Mary on Dec 14, 2011 at 07:30 AM in reply to Secreat
      You obviously don't know how to spell either! (secret) LOL, and I sure wouldn't be proud to know how to work the system! What a looser! Can't wait for you to try to be a "real" nurse! Nursing doesn't deserve trash like you in our profession!
        by Teacher on Dec 17, 2011 at 05:55 AM in reply to Mary
        It's "loser" not "looser". Loser is the woman who works the system. Sadly, her children will turn out the same way. That is why there is so much trash out there. Looser is defined as,"She is promiscuous and looser than the classy lady".
  • by Anonymous Location: Wintville on Dec 13, 2011 at 02:22 PM
    You have got to be kidding me. Have you considered that two incomes might be needed for the basics rather than the beach house, extra car, or boats. Imagine this, a mom who has the skills and determination to work and be an awesome mom who loves her child unconditionally and has been the one who set the foundation for his success. Shame on you for passing judgement on those who choose to provide what is needed for our families.
      by Anonymous on Dec 14, 2011 at 07:05 AM in reply to
      Yes, get a brain. That is NOT what I was saying. IF YOU CAN was what I was saying. You obviously cannot or you find giving your kids all the latest and greatest more important. Also some people would rather have boats, expensive cars and a big house rather than stay at home. DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT?!
        by Anonymous on Dec 14, 2011 at 07:21 AM in reply to
        BUT YOU WERE SAYING THAT other wise, why did you mention it. I dont have a beach front home...I have a 2003 car with 97000 miles on it....I rent a home. Whats your point?
  • by Anonymous on Dec 13, 2011 at 01:25 PM
    I think each person is different. Some would rather work and some would rather stay at home. I find staying at home much more rewarding than working outside the home until my kids are grown.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135496218 - witn.com/a?a=135496218