RECALL: Bacteria Found On Kotex Tampons

Thousands of tampons have been recalled.

Kimberly-Clark announced 1,400 cases of its Kotex Natural Balance Security unscented tampons are being recalled.

The tampons are regular aborbency and were distributed to specific stores in the United States. According to the company, the recall is limited to two product SKUs (carton codes), 15063 (18 count) and 15068 (36 count).

Kimberly-Clark reports the tampons were manufactured with a raw material contaminated with a bacterium, Enterobacter sakazakii, which may cause health risks, including vaginal infections, urinary tract infections, pelvic inflammatory disease or infections that can be life-threatening.

The company states women with serious existing illnesses, cancer or immune-compromised conditions, such as HIV, are at increased risk. A news release also states there is limited evidence of transfer between individuals with this bacterium.

The company also advises that women should contact a physician immediately if they have used the tampon and experience unusual vaginal discharge, rash, fever, headache, vomiting or abdominal pains, particularly if they are HIV positive, have AIDS, cancer, an existing serious illness or may be pregnant.

If you have the product, you are asked to call Kimberly-Clark’s Consumer Services Division at 1-800-335-6839 so the necessary information and arrangements can be made to retrieve the unused product.

• by PrideGuys Location: Greenville on Nov 16, 2011 at 04:40 PM
    This is just another reason Americans need to manufacture more goods here in the US and not overseas. With so many different diseases and bacteria in existence Americans need to be more about "American Made" products and not foreign made goods. Keep it in America!
      by Anonymous on Nov 17, 2011 at 08:09 AM in reply to PrideGuys
      People won't work for 42 dollars a week in the US
  • by Wonder Location: ENC on Nov 16, 2011 at 08:09 AM
    I wonder if this is in the pads as well. Because i purchased a box of kotex pads and they had a very medicine like smell i wondered if i had picked up scented which i don't buy. Checked the box and they wasn't scented.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 16, 2011 at 08:05 AM
    Having worked for Procter and Gamble, who make Always, these sterile items never touch human hands. It comes from the raw materials inside that are used for absorbency not from human hands.
  • by ann Location: eastern nc on Nov 16, 2011 at 05:40 AM
    "Kimberly-Clark states the tampons were shipped to specific Walmart stores in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico and Texas; specific Fry’s stores in Arizona; and specific Smith’s stores in Utah and Arizona." This is not true, I live here locally in NC and I have a box that I purchased from WalMart just last week with this SKU number. Please check your number!
  • by 40some on Nov 15, 2011 at 09:57 PM
    Probably happened when someone didn't like the product and it was returned to the store and restocked.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 15, 2011 at 06:57 PM
    bleach will kill 99.9% of the bacteria.
  • by disgusted on Nov 15, 2011 at 05:33 PM
    i am sick and tired of hearing AFTER THE FACT that something has been contaminated!!! this is why there is 'occupy' movements--we are sick of being a number, and a threat to the bottom line! these things need to be checked out before the public gets exposed to them! there should be NO RECALL! RECALL IS TOO LATE!! how many women will be scarred from using these--i wonder if anyone will be rendered infertile due to infections? bacterial infections can get into the bloodstream if left untreated. and i just want to know this--HOW DID the bacteria get on them in the first place??? 'entero' refers to something that came from your gut. so what exactly did these things come into contact with?? im going to do like the old days and find a rag.
  • by me Location: enc on Nov 15, 2011 at 04:24 PM
    The problem I have is that I have used this product for the last 3 months. I didn't save the boxes so I don't know the sku numbers on them. Now I have a gynecological problem that I couldn't understand where it came from. I believe since I have been using this product that the manufacturer needs to pay for the tests I will have to undergo.
      by Tarzan on Nov 15, 2011 at 04:31 PM in reply to me
      If the tests show it was their fault...Yes. If not..no. Cause you would have had to have tests anyway to find out what is wrong.
  • by Mamasgirl Location: Eastern NC on Nov 15, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    Let me guess....they were made in China?
      by obamanot on Nov 15, 2011 at 01:30 PM in reply to Mamasgirl
      I was going to say the same thing but I got side tracked from voters comment.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 15, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    I'm sorry but I have to say it... this story looks like it was written by a 10 year old. I can appreciate the importance of getting the info posted, but some professional level of writing should be involved as well. Sentences 2 and 4 need to be proofed by a real journalist. Anon 11:57am, not sterile but fairly close to it. It's not about bacteria being present so much as the variety and amount of it (something the story fails to address).

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133866853 - witn.com/a?a=133866853