Report: Pre-Packaged Cookie Dough Linked To E.Coli

If you're planning on baking cookies today, put down the dough and listen to this, a new report says ready-to-bake cookie dough could make you very sick.

Researchers with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have linked a multi-state outbreak of E.coli back in 2009 to pre-packaged, ready-to-bake cookie dough. That outbreak included two cases in North Carolina.

Their report urges cookie dough manufacturers to reformulate their recipe to make the product safer, and warns consumers not to eat the dough before it's baked.

Investigators believe the culprit is flour, because it does not undergo a step to kill bacteria that may be present unlike the other ingredients.

• by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2011 at 05:03 PM
    It probably still tastes good.
  • by fatty on Dec 9, 2011 at 08:58 AM
    guess what - the cooked cookie dough will kill you too. Obesity, diabetes, choking, peanut allergy - all causes of death. So think twice...and now according to these comments I can't go outside of death by jet fumes. How depressing...and right here at Christmas too.
      by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2011 at 07:33 PM in reply to fatty
      You can't go to the beach either because all the chemicals from ships washes up on shore with the sand... someone told me that this summer then got mad when I said I let my kid play in the sand and I did when I was little. People are just overly paranoid sometimes.
        by DIXIECHICK on Dec 10, 2011 at 03:16 AM in reply to
        It's also like going to the doctor with the first sniffle. You're body never builds up an immunity towards anything. The tree huggers are making a big deal out of everything, yet a lot of them still drive their gas or diesel powered SUVs to keep up with the Jones'.
  • by Watcher Location: Bertie on Dec 9, 2011 at 08:23 AM
    When you buy cookie dough, it's RAW dough. You aren't sure what's in it so why would you eat it without baking to make it safe? All of these scary warnings aren't necessary to people who use common sense.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2011 at 07:22 AM
    Make your own cookies with ingredients that you control...problem solved.
      by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2011 at 07:32 PM in reply to
      That would mean more effort than peeling off paper and throwing chunks on a pan.. I do love my homemade cookies though, so much better tasting.
  • by Mark on Dec 9, 2011 at 07:19 AM
    Anthony Bourdain says "If you don't get sick from the food you eat at least once or twice a year, you aren't eating GOOD food." Live a little. Eat a rare steak, go for the sashimi, homemade kraut, or eggs over easy. I don't advocate eating raw poultry, but raw cookie dough is the least of your worries.
      by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2011 at 07:31 PM in reply to Mark
      Over easy is the only way I eat my eggs :)
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Dec 9, 2011 at 06:43 AM
    Buffaloe Chips! People that eat raw cookie dough get ecoli. There is NO ecoli that can withstand 3 - 425 degrees. Eat it raw frozen = prob. not a broblem.......... eat it raw thawed out - well - a different story. No difference than poultry,pork,eggs,processed meats of any kind and of course beef. Buffaloe Chips on your cookies.... Not fair to not have any further research and if there was a problem what brand??????? FOR CRYING OUT LOUD IT IS THE HOLIDAY SEASON !!!!!!! You can put people out of business making accusations with out proof.
      by Mark on Dec 9, 2011 at 07:23 AM in reply to Shine
      Why are you so angry? And WHAT THE HELL ARE BUFFALOE CHIPS!!!!!!?????????
        by Audra - SoCal on Dec 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM in reply to Mark
        Buffalo Chips: bison excrement.
      by Audra - SoCal on Dec 9, 2011 at 12:12 PM in reply to Shine
      Freezing only keeps E. coli from multiplying. It does not kill the bacteria. Why would eating it frozen help? If that were the case, you could eat raw frozen meat too. Your post isn't making a lot of sense.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2011 at 06:28 AM
    So a two year old report is saying don't eat cookie dough from this year? Have they found any traces of e. coli in cookie dough this year, or did they not get rid of the e. coli from two years ago?
  • by Anne Location: Greenville on Dec 9, 2011 at 05:28 AM
    I should be dead then! What a way to go!
  • by anon on Dec 9, 2011 at 05:10 AM
    Things sure have come a long way. I remember when I was little--in the 60's--my dad used to mix up hamburger and taste a tiny piece for seasoning before cooking it. Ah well.
      by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM in reply to anon
      People got sick from eating meat that wasn't cooked properly then too. He was just lucky.
  • by pete Location: grifton on Dec 9, 2011 at 04:46 AM
    Choose your poison wisely.cookie dough,cigaretts,beer,whiskey,drugs or better yet! just go outside and breath from the chemical trails the U.S Airforce sprays on people(don't believe it? a vapor trail soon dissipates chemical trails don't)just google it and read it for yourself.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Dec 9, 2011 at 05:31 AM in reply to pete
      I'm definitely going to research that one. Why are they doing it though? What's the purpose of it? I'll get back to you.
        by ncuyankee on Dec 9, 2011 at 07:35 AM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
        please give the web site on this would love to look it up..from goldsboro, home of SJAFB, was stationed there post it ok thanks
        by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2011 at 12:02 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
        This is about a 15 to 20 yr old conspiracy theory. You'll find a lot about it on the web. That's because a lot of people have been spreading stories about it for a long time. Don't believe everything you read. An educated person however could do their research based on the intelligent knowledge that the difference in how a vapor trail behaves happens due to atmospheric conditions, just like clouds. It's not that complicated.
      by anon on Dec 9, 2011 at 06:11 AM in reply to pete
      I bit and searched it. The site I found was pretty interesting--even the aluminum/alzheimer's correlation, which most people have heard about. However, it lost any and all credibility when I clicked on the 'merchandise' link--and saw a t-shirt for sale (among other items) that, in essence, referred to the holocaust as a "holohoax". A bunch of fruitcakes.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135309818 - witn.com/a?a=135309818