Medicaid 'Optional' Services May Be Trimmed In NC

North Carolina's Medicaid recipients could see some of the services they've grown accustomed to no longer covered.

Republicans at the Legislature are considering the elimination of several medical services the federal government says the state doesn't have to provide to adults in Medicaid. That could include paying for some over-the-counter drugs like insulin for diabetics, and podiatry and chiropractic services. Most adult dental care and routine eye exams also could be gone.

GOP budget-writers say they have little choice but to consider eliminating "optional" services to save money and close a deep budget hole. Democratic Sen. Doug Berger of Youngsville called the eliminations unconscionable and avoidable.

Medicaid serves 1.4 million people, mostly the elderly, people with disabilities and poor families. Another half-million people could enroll by 2014.

• by Anonymous on Jul 27, 2011 at 05:42 AM
    here's and idea, get a job, but your own food, pay for your own cell phone, pay your own rent, pay for your own kids and keep your hands out of my pocket if you are too lazy to work
  • by Concerned Location: Blounts Creek on Jun 4, 2011 at 08:29 PM
    I am tired of seeing people sell there food stamps for money. I thought when they changed over to the card things would change. My husband and I are both disabled, we can't get medicaid or food stamps. We have to choose each month how much medicine we can afford and still eat at least once a day.
  • by think about it Location: Goldsboro, NC on May 30, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    If hospital employees are mad people with medicaid are coming into there hospital ED for what in their opinon is stupid stuff. They need to think about what it would do to the hospital when these same people come in for stupid stuff with no insurance to foot the bill, and these people just let these bills rack up and not pay them! Would you have your nice job if your hospital goes under?????????? Be thankful these people are giving your company business even if it is stupid!
      by Billy on May 30, 2011 at 11:12 AM in reply to think about it
      While I hate to admit it but that actually makes sense. Take away all those medicaid patients, Alot of us would be without a Job. Can't beat em, join em. Nice point Think about it.
      by Dar on May 30, 2011 at 04:18 PM in reply to think about it
      Your entitled attitude is what we need to rid this country of.
      by Anonymous on May 30, 2011 at 05:14 PM in reply to think about it
      Emergency rooms are for EMERGENCIES. Why can't people get that. If I go to the emergency room for a cold it will cost $150 as opposed to $30 for my doctor. I get that b/c it comes out of my pocket. People with medicaid don't get it b/c we the tax payers pay it for them. If we could educate the ignorant it would save our country millions.
      by anon on May 30, 2011 at 05:39 PM in reply to think about it
      and what do you think is causing hospitals to close, if not the deadbeats? were it not for the freeloaders,, staff wages WOULD BE HIGHER,,think about THAT Einstein.
      by SICK OF THE FREELOADERS on Jun 1, 2011 at 01:21 AM in reply to think about it
      It is stupid for anyone to come to the ER for stupid stuff. Those who are insured drive up health care costs when they abuse an ER for a cold or a sore throat. I have had patient's come in for cold sores, brain freeze from a freezepop, and a broken fake nail, just to mention a few. That is an abuse of the ER PERIOD. I have seen people call 9-1-1 for a sore throat, a sexually transmitted disease, a stumped toe and chronic back pain. How would you feel if you were having a heart attack and EMS was out picing up these idiots while you were out dying. But I guess it is ok as long as we all have our nice jobs to take care of the dummies. I would prefer to use my skills on the critically ill not the terminally stupid!
      by SICK OF THE FREELOADERS on Jun 2, 2011 at 12:17 AM in reply to think about it
      You clearly are ignorant and an abundance of people like you is truly a growing problem in this country. Finding people who actually have a good work ethic and take pride in what they do... a dying breed.
        by Anonymous on Jun 5, 2011 at 08:45 AM in reply to SICK OF THE FREELOADERS
        That dying breed has a name. We are called baby boomers, and we were pushed out of the workforce early because companies with the support of the government moved our jobs overseas to save money.
  • by Upset Location: NC on May 30, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    My mother is disabled, and is on medicaid. Sadly only makes $400 mthly on SSI has to sacrafic her independence to live with her son in law and myself because of this low income, and without Medicaid wouldn't afford to pay for things covered with this program.. she is also insulin dependent... how could she afford to pay for her insulin if they take this benefit away!!! This country is giving to people who dont need help, and taking from those who do!! CRAZY
  • by Fact Bringer Location: Greenvile on May 30, 2011 at 09:47 AM
    What makes me concerned is many of these decisions on what to cut and those cuts' effects are being made by people with no more than a bachelor's degree, maybe a law degree. These are complex, systemic issues, and we're throwing each vote out to the shortsighted public like an American Idol contest.
  • by Anonymous on May 30, 2011 at 09:27 AM
    IF they would take off the illegal people who use this we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. GEESH!
      by Anonymous on Jun 1, 2011 at 06:10 PM in reply to
      It woudln't matter if you did. Hospitals would still have to provide them emergency care. They'd still be using the same ambulance, hospital bed, medicine, and medical staff with or without any assisted funding program in effect. The only difference is the goverment foots the bill for one, and the hospital/insurance holders foots the bill for the other.
  • by Tax Payer on May 30, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    Folks the free ride will soon be over America is busted.
      by SICK OF THE FREELOADERS on Jun 1, 2011 at 01:22 AM in reply to Tax Payer
      Yep, thanx to our wonderful government.
      by Anonymous on Jun 5, 2011 at 08:51 AM in reply to Tax Payer
      The world owns America ---not the American taxpayers. America is exactly where the leaders of the world want us to be. Our wages are intentionally being driven down to that of the rest of the free world. The sooner the baby boomers who brought this country prosperity have died off, the U.S. governments financial obligations will deminish (sic) and there will be no shortfall. And they are doing everything they can to kill us off, even running advertisements telling us it's is better to go ahead and die rather than run up a medical bill. I'll bet they don;t feel that way about their own lives.
  • by pete Location: grifton on May 30, 2011 at 06:48 AM
    The only babies being delivered in Kinston at lenoir memorial hospital are medicade babies,if you have insurance or pay for it you either go to goldsboro or pitt memorial in greenville. when medicade is defunded there will be some baby daddies with long head's when they have to reach into their pocket's,I guess they will have to back off of the beer.
  • by KC Location: Greenville on May 30, 2011 at 05:24 AM
    There are A LOT of people on Medicaid who truly NEED it. I am disabled and am on Medicaid. I have a job and need Medicaid to help pay for in home services so I can go to work. I also have primary insurance and pay taxes. Getting rid of Medicaid is not the answer because believe me there would still be ignorant people in the ER. People using the ER as there primary doc has more to do with lack of education than anything else.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on May 30, 2011 at 09:46 AM in reply to KC
      Your the person we believe deserves it. Medicaid was originally designed for disability supplemental insurance for those who qualify. Later on, it was amended to accept low-income people too, even if not disabled.
  • by SICK OF THE FREELOADERS Location: ENC on May 29, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    CUT IT ALL OUT! Half of the people getting it are more than able to get a J-O-B and at least try. At a minimum, if you are on ANY government assistance, you should have to be subject to random drug screens as well as perform some type of community service. I work in an ER and 70% of the community in EDGECOMBE COUNTY is totally abusing the system. I blame the people at DSS for this as well. It is the good ole boy network over there. It is UNREAL how many people on MEDICAID are positive for drugs. So many people call 911 for minor complaints trying to avoid waiting and then want a cab voucher for a free cab ride home. IT IS RIDICULOUS. This is TAX PAYER money. If you have a job, you are getting abused. I want to know how someone 20-30 yrs old, no health problems, no physical limitations, gets medicaid???? Not to mention, they continue to have kids that they cannot pay for. In my house, if I dont work, I dont eat... I dont put gas in my car, my lights get turned off. Touche. I am sick and tired of these people sitting on their porch, drinking a 40 smoking a blunt watching the working people drive by on the way to work while they are waiting for the mailman to drop off their medicaid card and their check. Somebody needs to FIX IT!
      by Anonymous on May 30, 2011 at 05:12 AM in reply to SICK OF THE FREELOADERS
      Are you Jealous? You can do just like you described in your post, or you can have some ambition and self worth and have goals. You can join them if YOU DESIRE. ALSO Others may not be as fortunate as you. walk a mile in someone Else's shoes before you throw stones.
        by Anonymous on May 30, 2011 at 07:57 AM in reply to
        are you serious--You think we should allow people to continue to use the system -I think it is crazy how so many people will defend a bunch of free-loaders--medicaid was not designed for these types of people--it was designed for people who can't do for themselves--
        by SICK OF THE FREELOADERS on Jun 1, 2011 at 01:12 AM in reply to
        Ha-- No I am not jealous. I am disgusted by the behavior that I see. I have ambition, goals and a JOB. I do not abuse the system. I will throw stones all day long at those who take advantage of the system. You wouldnt be offended unless you are one of those people. I fully understand that others may not be as fortunate as me. I have been down on my luck a time or two and I went back to school to better myself. I did not depend on others to support me. It is called PRIDE. I was a divorced single mother of 2 and I made it.
      by ALEX on May 30, 2011 at 10:02 AM in reply to SICK OF THE FREELOADERS
      I am so glad that you have respect for yourself and not wasting the government's money. If you need help, you should be getting it. Those that get medicaid and food stamps and do nothing but sit on the corner drinking their 40s are a disgrace to the U. S.
      by rl on May 30, 2011 at 03:31 PM in reply to SICK OF THE FREELOADERS
      it is not just edgecombe county. Same problems in pitt, martin,..............
      by RCH Ahoskie on May 31, 2011 at 05:39 AM in reply to SICK OF THE FREELOADERS
      i work in the ed also and it is crazy. all the on medicaid people on drugs. if positive for drugs why do i have to pay. they abuse the system and have no desire to change

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 122800529 - witn.com/a?a=122800529