Low Cost Healthcare Clinic: Layoffs Forced To Continue Services

The Agape Community Health Center in Washington says two employees out of the four staff members were let go to help save money while keeping the dental program alive.

The clinic started offering dental services in 2009, thanks to $279,000 in start up money from Beaufort County commissioners. But with more people in need, or unable to pay for the low-cost services, the executive director says they've had no choice, but to let them go.

"Whatever we do, I have to pay for it. You got to pay for it and if you're not bringing in enough money through insurance and billing... and we knew because of the population that we serve, then we have to make some tough decisions," said Reverend Moore.

Reverend Moore says he may ask the county again, to assist the clinic. The county manager says they're grateful of the clinic services, but doesn't know if the county can help financially again.

• by anonymous Location: washington on Mar 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    agreed 'where is the money going'! It's my understanding that the clinic actually straight out fired these employees instead of 'laying them off' It's also my understanding that they are unable to pay clinic bills. and have large outstanding amounts to multiple companies. it's not only sad for the employees and their families but for residents. seems like reverend moore and reverend bolden have their 'own' agendas instead of truly providing what's best for the community. what happened to the large some of grant money they received just a few months ago to help the clinic expand? seems like money might be finding its way else-where!! seems like for this clinic to run properly reverend moore and reverend bolden need to see their way out the door.
  • by Where is the money going??? Location: Beaufort on Mar 7, 2011 at 07:18 AM
    What a racket! Another Ponzi scheme, moving things around under different non-profits. Someone needs to do some detail hard investigating reporting into this healthcare clinic.
  • by ruby Location: washington on Mar 5, 2011 at 03:26 PM
    Information can be found at http://dynamodata.fdncenter.org/990s/990search/esearch.php Org.: Metropolitan Community Health Services Wash.,NC 27889 EIN 562143419 (no dashes) CEO: Lynne Bolden-2009 IRS Form 990 reports her Salary - $112,195 The 2006 IRS 990 reports: REV. DAVID MOORE 406 E 5TH ST. Wash., NC 27889 - CEO $97,250 REV. LYNN BOLDEN PO BOX 810 Wntrvlle NC 28590 - COO $97,438 PETER G. OMONDE 6771 RIVER ROAD Wash. NC 27889 PHYSICIANS ASST $83,088 Having more than One or two non-profits registered with Sec. of State opens up more opportunities (Rev. Moore is registered agent for 20 non-profits) and you're able to move things around more easily. In addition to federal and state grants, private orgs. also donate funds. Every time a grant/contract is issued, someone receives a management fee (maybe 15%). UHS does the same, but on a much larger scale. UHS CEO Dave McRae is listed as the RA on 20 . UHS Officers shift positions and hospitals often.
  • by drew on Mar 5, 2011 at 04:29 AM
    i thought that they just received a large grant in march to expand the clinic. how much does the CEO, rev moore and the COO make and what are they doing with the grant theyreceived
  • by US-First Location: Greenville on Mar 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    Then how about volunteer to help them out. Give them your time, labor or money. If this is a cause worth saving in your mind then please feel free to help. But don't cry me a river when the county (tax payers) can no longer foot the bill. We all have charities and community groups and services we like to support. And I like supporting those I want to support. Not that the others are any less deserving. They are just not as important to me and I only have so much I can give. If the government took less from me I could give more. What I hate is that the government takes from me and decides who to support with my money based on their own agendas. I have no doubt that less government would result in more charity and more community involvement as we make the decisions for ourselves what we value in our community independently.
  • by Howdy Location: Washington on Mar 3, 2011 at 08:19 PM
    This clinic used to be a good thing for our community, but thanks to changes made a couple of years ago, they no longer are. Certain populations get all of the help they need. Those populations being AIDS cases and diabetics as well as medicaid cases. As for the rest of us, we will likely pay more to be seen there than we would at any regular doctor. The sliding scale fees are a joke, when I was working my copay was 20$, then I ended up unemployed and in college, and my copay disappeared and I ended up with a 200$ bill for being treated for a sinus infection, and they wanted income information for family members that are not even in my household. Basically said that because I had no income that I was no longer eligible for their services. You would think that they would want to help the people that are trying to help themselves, but they seem more interested in people who are doing nothing to help at all.
  • by just wondering Location: gville on Mar 3, 2011 at 07:15 PM
    how much does rev moore make on this
  • by Anonymous Location: washington on Mar 3, 2011 at 07:01 PM
    this is very sad that the community is losing the only low cost health care in the area! now the families and people with no insurance will go untreated and eventually need major work! you would think that they would grant something like this before giving grants to other unneccasary things in the area first! its also sad that the workers only were giving a days notice before being let go! I truly hope the best for these families and the community, maybe someone will step up and realize that they are losing a truly great thing!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117375098 - witn.com/a?a=117375098