Hannah The Dog A Hit At Onslow Memorial Hospital

An area hospital is showing that a four-legged friend can sometimes be the best medicine.

Onslow Memorial Hospital has added therapy dogs to the staff.

Four-year old Hannah, a Golden Retriever, is part of the hospital's new program "Welcome Waggers."

The program is designed to make the stay for patients more comfortable, enhance long and short term memory, provide exercise, reduce anxiety and support the overall healing process.

Hannah works three days a week. The spirituality and wellness committee came up with the idea six or seven months ago and it is part of the service improvement program.

• by Anonymous on Nov 16, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    Therapy dogs are some of the best medicine out there. The infection control policies in place make the dogs cleaner than the people!!!
  • by Mike Location: Jax on Nov 16, 2010 at 02:42 AM
    I was recently at the Durham VA hospital with my son. Nothing serious. I hate hospitals period. Just as was feeling stress, in my neck, A therapy dog and volunteer wandered across my path. We sat and talked a few minutes and I suddenly realized I was scratching the dogs ears and getting licked on my hand and fingers. GREAT MEDICINE!
  • by Great job! Location: Washington, NC on Nov 15, 2010 at 08:48 PM
    What wonderful news! That is excellent. I know if I were in the hospital I would love to have a dog come and visit me. Dick -- dogs are WAY cleaner than anything in a hospital and WAY nicer than people like you!! Good job Onslow Memorial!
  • by Anonymous on Nov 15, 2010 at 07:58 PM
    Dick, therapy dogs are common throughout the nation in hospitals and care facilities. The "germs in surgery" concern isn't really valid, if you honestly think they have a goldern retriever wondering aimlessly through the o.r. you're far too paranoid for your own good.
  • by Hanna Montana on Nov 15, 2010 at 07:57 PM
    I knew she was ugly, but to call her a "dog" is unfair. The girl does the best she can.
  • by needle phobic Location: Jacksonville on Nov 15, 2010 at 05:35 PM
    With positive news about Pitt Hospital and Onslow Memorial on the same day as I turn 57 years old, am a little more upbeat about growing older in Eastern NC. Think I'll take my chances at Pitt if I have a choice. Suspect the nurses are better looking at Pitt. If the nurses are fat and ugly, I'm a gonner for sure.
  • by dick Location: 27889 on Nov 15, 2010 at 05:28 PM
    A DOG IN A HOSPITAL A HIT ,I DONT THINK SO!!!!!!!!!!!! WE ALREADY HAVE TOOOOO MANY GERMS IN SURGURY.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 108285874 - witn.com/a?a=108285874