Experts: Irene Might Have Caused Spike In Mosquito Population

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

If you've been out clearing storm debris or just spending time outdoors, you may have thought the mosquito population is out of control. Experts say the recent storms might have spiked the mosquito population.

Pitt County is monitoring the mosquito population by setting traps to determine the types of mosquitoes emerging from the flood waters. There are 26 different species in eastern North Carolina. Some bite at night or early mornings and others feed during the day. So there's no good time for avoiding mosquitoes right now.

Experts say whenever there's a storm or hurricane event- standing water in bird baths, yards or buckets can create a breeding ground for the blood-sucking insects.

"Based on what I've seen in the past week, it's not to say we in particular- we got the more rain potentially all week this week- that we won't run into problems, but I don't think we'll get the blooms of flood water mosquitoes that was seen here during Floyd," said Pitt County Mosquitoes Control Director Jim Gardner.

Gardner says if there are swarms of mosquitoes in your neighborhood-they'll check them out for you to see if the area needs to be sprayed. You can call the county office at (252) 902-3210.

• by Bridgette Harris on Sep 7, 2011 at 04:53 PM
    ok...it takes an expert to tell me theres a spike?went to go to work this morning and they were signoning my jeep dry.....i didnt need to drive to work...they carried me there from greene county....thanks Experts for lettin me knowin ....!!!!!
  • by Esther Location: Pamlico County on Sep 7, 2011 at 01:12 PM
    I have lived in Pamlico Co for over 57 years. The mosquitos have always been there. I use spray to help kept them away, but it only last one hour, when before it would last all day. People who don't think they are bad, come to my house. If you can take the mosquito, then you can have it. For me I am a taxpayer and I pay enough taxes for them to spray. They sprayed the areas about a month ago, they should spray again. The little ones are more dangerous than the big ones. There is no way you can stay out, even early in the morning. Can you image what would happen if someone got killed or killed someone else while trying to kill the mosquitos while driving. We need some RELIEF
  • by Anonymous on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    Don't talk such trash about mosquito control. I welcome anything the city does to control them. Some are as big as turkeys!
  • by Wesley Location: Greenville on Sep 7, 2011 at 07:22 AM
    The mosquitos are about the worst I seen in the last 40 years. I appreciate the City using my tax money to help control them.
  • by Terry Location: Coast on Sep 7, 2011 at 06:42 AM
    No amount of spraying can eliminate the threat so protect yourself. I suggest Greenbug for People - it works and it is safe. I got it at the beach this summer but google 'Greenbug for People' to find out where to get it. I highly recommend it.
  • by Henry Location: Greenville on Sep 7, 2011 at 06:02 AM
    Mosquito control is a function of big government. We do not need big government wasting our tax dollars on mosquito removal. If you don't like these pest, call an insect exterminator. The government should not compete. with private business owners
  • by Chuck WireWiggler Location: ChazWorld, Hyde Branch on Sep 7, 2011 at 05:43 AM
    glad they are spraying in greenville, because we sure do not need it in Hyde county, no moskeets here to speak of really. Dont know what they are talking about..We only have the tiny ones that you cant see that come out at dusk and dawn, the big ones that eat the mosquito hawks, the ones that have the tiger strips that drink the malothyon like it's coolaid, and I'm sure there's a variety that I missed. Please bring spray when you come to Hyde to do yer study!
  • by Bob on Sep 7, 2011 at 03:36 AM
    If any of you arm chair complainers actually read the story, they are studying the different types of mosquito's in the area. Testing them for disease and what areas are seeing a higher concentration. They were spraying this a.m. in my neighborhood of north east Greenville. I for one am glad they are trying to control the varmints.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 7, 2011 at 02:34 AM
    Im glad the expert told us this, I hope he gets paid a lot of money to do such great work. Thanks for the info expert. WITN get real, did you really have to post such a silly story.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 7, 2011 at 02:12 AM
    I'm not an expert just a field test and let me tell you they are bitting me.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 129347648 - witn.com/a?a=129347648