CNN Special Featuring J.H. Rose Aired Sunday Night

CNN aired a special Sunday at 8 p.m. that featured J.H. Rose High School. The documentary takes a closer look at high school football concussions.

It was back in September of 2008 that J.H. Rose football player 16-year-old Jaquan Waller died after two consecutive head injuries. Doctors say he died from second impact syndrome.

Waller's story was featured along with football players and coaches from J.H. Rose.

• by aargh on Jan 30, 2012 at 02:08 PM
    This was an eye-opener for many.
  • by Amy Location: Midland, MI on Jan 30, 2012 at 06:44 AM
    Thank you for sharing this story. I had my son watch it, to let him no how serious this can be. Last year he had gotten a concussion while playing football. He had gotten hit late in the 3rd qtr and continued to play the 4th, without letting one know. When he came off the field we could tell something was wrong.He had a bad headache and he was in a daze. I took him right to the ER. He could not play for 3 weeks. The team also took that test before full contact started, he failed it 3 times after his concussion before he finally passed it and was able to play again. I think that test the players have to take is great idea. I am sorry and saddened for they young men who have lost their lifes, this way.
  • by Timothy Daniels Location: Jacksonville fl. on Jan 30, 2012 at 06:41 AM
    I want to thank everyone for all the help support and prayers. My little brother will be missed but never forgotten and ur nephews love u.
      by Robert Whitehurst on Jan 30, 2012 at 08:26 AM in reply to Timothy Daniels
      I am sorry Tim I did not know that was your brother. I lost my son a couple of years ago and I know how that feeling of lost never goes away. I hope you and the family are doing great. I think its about time for you to retire.
      by Thank you! on Jan 30, 2012 at 08:26 AM in reply to Timothy Daniels
      Thank YOU Timothy. Your family was very brave to allow a national audience into your personal tragedy. I did not know Jaquan, but felt his presence in your families spirit. He is saving lives..... as an angel.
      by Sam on Jan 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM in reply to Timothy Daniels
      Thoughts and prayers go out to your family Timothy. I'm sorry this tragedy happened.
  • by Greenville mom Location: greenville on Jan 30, 2012 at 06:33 AM
    It was an excellent program. Very informative. I appreciate the families of those that have struggled with the loss of loved ones and also those that have lost the ability to play the sport they love. My only wish now is that Pitt would identify those other sports that struggle with injuries. Concussions not only happen in football. Many concussions go un diagnosed in soccer as well. As the athlete lays out on the field stuggling to get up the coaches reaction is to throw their arms up in the air like "now what? That's just great". With no concern to the athlete. Ask me if their was a trainer around.... NO. Student left the field, only to return minutes later. Oh and by the way, this was at the same school that this was filmed at, during the same year.
      by Anonymous on Jan 30, 2012 at 07:53 AM in reply to Greenville mom
      All coaches in Pitt County have received protocol training for potential head injuries. If you do not feel a coach is following the protocol you should report it to the Athletic Director or Central office immediately.
  • by If you missed it..... Location: Greenville on Jan 30, 2012 at 04:37 AM
    If you missed this program, and would like information on how to view the documentary, please go to www.cnn.com and click on the 'health' section at the top. Thank you Waller family for sharing.
  • by Thank you Waller family Location: Greenville on Jan 30, 2012 at 04:31 AM
    I would like to thank the Waller family, and especially Jaquan's brother, for being able to help bring this issue to the eyes of all. While this was a terrible tragedy, I am filled with respect for the family, and everyone who participated in this documentary. CJ
  • by Chuck Location: Greenville on Jan 29, 2012 at 08:00 PM
    Thanks CNN for showing this. This was one of the best programs i have ever seen. It was so sad,but informative. Hopefully changes have been made in athletics to prevent sad endings.If things had been done differently back then,this kid would not have lost his life. My heart & Prayers go out to the family involved in the JH Rose tragedy.
  • by MSH Location: Martin Co. on Jan 29, 2012 at 06:29 PM
    I wish everyone had seen this program tonight. It definitely put a new perspective on things. I am so sorry this young man and his loved ones went through a tragic loss of life. I will never minimize or claim to understand anything. However, b/c of this terrible incident w/death, many others are alive due to the lessons learned through the mistakes w/him. New tests now are saving lives in the majority of our states. It is just a shame we learned from his death. My prayers are still w/his loved ones. You had someone to be proud of. His love for football helped keep him busy and off the streets where so many are today.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138298814 - witn.com/a?a=138298814