CDC: Too Many Kids Breathe Others' Smoke In Cars

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it's worried about the amount of second-hand smoke being inhaled by teens and middle-schoolers in cars.

In the first national estimate of its kind, a report from government researchers says more than 1 in 5 high school students and middle schoolers ride in cars while others are smoking.

The report says this kind of secondhand smoke exposure has been linked with breathing problems and allergy symptoms, and more restrictions are needed to prevent it.

The CDC says there is no risk-free level of secondhand smoke.

With widespread crackdowns on smoking in public, private places including homes and cars are where people encounter secondhand smoke these days. Anti-smoking advocates have zeroed in on cars because of research showing they're potentially more dangerous than smoke-filled bars and other less confined areas.

• by Steve Location: New Bern on Feb 6, 2012 at 08:35 AM
    You have to be kidding!! Me and my brothers and sister grew up with both parents that smoked in the house in the car and NO none of us had or have cancer! I smoked for about forty years until I quit and still have siblings that continue to smoke so what happened to prevent my whole family from getting cancer? Face it, cancer is more than likely sitting dormant in all of us and certain things jump start it in some people and it's something else that starts it in others.
      by Scott on Feb 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM in reply to Steve
      I grew up in the same thing and I can't stand the smell of smoke just because of that. If you are "hot boxing" your kids while driving around you should be charged with child abuse. You are knowing exposing them to harmful substances without regard to their health, and cracking the window doesn't do a thing.
      by Anonymous on Feb 6, 2012 at 02:24 PM in reply to Steve
      Steve - you sure are arrogant about it. I am glad that no one in your family has been traumatized and I hope they never are. Your fooling yourself. It will catch up to you or someone you love.
      by 250 on Feb 6, 2012 at 02:52 PM in reply to Steve
      I'm feelin ya Steve. Our systems have been building immunity up since the days of sitting in the back seat while mom and dad smoked. Anti bacterial lotions are quickly doing our next generations in for not beiing able to resist the tinyest little fly by of a germ.
      by Anonymous on Feb 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM in reply to Steve
      You don't have it yet, and just because you're an exception to the rule doesn't mean the rule isn't still true. It's like saying since all people who drink it drive don't get into accidents, it's fine to drink and drive.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 6, 2012 at 07:45 AM
    I hate obama but I actually hope this law passes. I also hate smokers who do it around their kids. How about the idiots that roll down the window. Still blows into the kids faces in their car seats. Your not fooling anyone but yourself. One thing Obama did right during his CRAPPY TERM AS PRESIDENT.
      by WOW on Feb 6, 2012 at 08:14 AM in reply to
      The government diesn't like the clothes you are wearing either. They're working on approved clothing for all US Subjects now. will have a "military" styling and Nero style collars. A lot like the official workers' uniforms that Mao designed for his subjects. How do you like them apples?
      by Obama Snake Oil Co on Feb 6, 2012 at 09:41 AM in reply to
      Apparently, this lobby spends a lot of money in NC getting laws passed that are invasive on smokers. I give em a break...afterall, isn't that tax on smokes for childrens health insurance? So they are doing if for the children and the poor. I see these laws as wedge laws meant to break into rights and privilidges. Once you set the precedence with tobacco, you is used against "us" when the government deems so. Don't beleive it? Fast food tax on its way, outlawing grease for french fries and next, soft drink tax. Its all on the table right now. Well, if you were so opposed to smokers doing their thing, now its coming to bite you too. They are doing it in schools, controlling what kids eat. Yeah, we should have some guidelines but no mandates afterall, you can either throw away all the food kids wouldn't eat or give them what they will. Just wondering how they will deal with second hand obese people, make them stay in their houses, ban them from buffets.....
        by Anonymous on Feb 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM in reply to Obama Snake Oil Co
        These are all good things. Americans seem to be highly uneducated when it comes to a balanced diet and doing basic things which in turn help your overall health, which in turns lowers insurance cost. And banning anything isn't going to help, like always education is what helps and offering incentive to get people to be healthier. But as you're a Republican, I doubt you want to believe in education actually fixing a problem.
  • by tug Location: new bern on Feb 6, 2012 at 06:51 AM
    Well there's the ground work for yet another useless govt intrusion into our lives. Might not happen next year, but it will happen. A few years ago, I never thought smoking inside would be illegal in NC, but it is now.
  • by Officer1 on Feb 6, 2012 at 06:36 AM
    If "another law" is passed against smoking in YOUR car, I can promise you that the person smoking in their own car will likely be punished more than the drunk person driving down the road risking the lives of EVERYBODY on the road! That my friend is the court system that we work in!
      by Mom on Feb 6, 2012 at 07:43 AM in reply to Officer1
      Smoke much? 2 or 3 packer a day? Know a child or adult that ever died of cancer? I did. My father of bladder cancer. Big tough guy. Was not so tough against cancer. Got it from smoking years earlier. You have been warned. Its no way to go. Don't do it on purpose.
        by WOW on Feb 6, 2012 at 08:12 AM in reply to Mom
        Hey, back off Mom. He didn't say it was smart, or the right thing to do. Nor do I. We only maintain that the government has no place in our cars, or homes telling us whether we can smoke or not.
          by c-had on Feb 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM in reply to WOW
          Agreed.I smoke but not in my home or car.However these Nazis will not stop until we all live their principles.It makes me sick.
        by 250 on Feb 6, 2012 at 02:44 PM in reply to Mom
        MOM you are very irritating. I have migraines. Many are triggered by scents. I want the Gmen to make it a law that women can't wear perfumes and men can't wear the brand AXE anymore.
  • by NO GOV on Feb 6, 2012 at 05:54 AM
    Really. You want the gov to tell you what you can eat? What you can wear, How to live. Common sense will just help that out. Keep hot heads and gov OUT of our PRIVATE LIVES.
  • by shonuff on Feb 6, 2012 at 05:36 AM
    Think our government is way too BIG!!! We have got to cut government and keep them where they belong. OUT of our PRIVATE lives.
  • by WOW Location: Beaufort on Feb 6, 2012 at 05:16 AM
    Here they come!! The next thing you know, they'll be in your house with you telling you how to live. Nanny government at it's best. Violates even the preamble to the Constitution.
  • by Obama Snake Oil Co Location: Washington on Feb 6, 2012 at 04:51 AM
    Ut Oh, the government is up to something again. I hear its sugar tax next based on the regs put on tobacco. Lets see, tanning tax, alcohol....I see another tax against smokers. Can we get the report from the CDC on second hands smoke? Oh, thats right, it doesn't exist. I would like to complain about second hand bathroom smells...CDC, get on it. You can make pay toilets the way of the future....
  • by Mr. America Location: around on Feb 6, 2012 at 04:27 AM
    Well Well i think what we need is government regulations to tell people what they can and can't do in their own cars.Come on Dems. prove me right.
  • by Mom Location: NC on Feb 6, 2012 at 04:19 AM
    I was taking my foster kids to the doctor in MHC and noticed all these young parents smoking in their cars with their young kids. No windows down either. Long time ago we did not know the harm but NOW WE DO. Make it a crime and these idiots will stop.
      by excuse me on Feb 6, 2012 at 05:34 AM in reply to Mom
      Really? You think this is your place? You really think the governments place is to tell us that we can't smoke in OUR cars while OUR kids are in it? I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's not up to the government to tell us. Just educate parents on the effects it has on THEIR children and sit down.
        by Anonymous on Feb 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM in reply to excuse me
        Yeah, I do. If you can't raise your child in a safe environment why should you keep them?
      by doug on Feb 6, 2012 at 08:54 AM in reply to Mom
      How dare you put your kids at risk like that by letting them out of the house.
        by c-had on Feb 6, 2012 at 10:19 AM in reply to doug
        I love it.Make it a crime and people will stop.Typical stupidity.
      by Hot Headed on Feb 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM in reply to Mom
      Are you over weight mom? maybe we need a calorie police to look at you and write you a ticket and put you on a restricted diet. Cant be fat, you're causing unnecessary health risks and thats expensive ya know.
        by Anonymous on Feb 11, 2012 at 11:13 PM in reply to Hot Headed
        Being overweight isn't really going to hurt anybody else, unless you're extremely obese and can't function well enough to take care of your kids. Smoking has direct consequences on those around you, two completely different things. They're not telling you not to smoke, they're telling you not to smoke around kids, because they don't know that it's harmful and apparently you don't care that it is. If you want to smoke, by all means grab a carton and lock yourself in a room and smoke everyone.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138764679 - witn.com/a?a=138764679