Abortion Restrictions Become NC Law After Override

Women seeking abortions in North Carolina will be required to wait 24 hours and receive state-mandated counseling and an ultrasound before a procedure.

The Republican-led Legislature completed its override Thursday of a measure vetoed by Democratic Governor Beverly Perdue.

The Senate canceled the veto thanks in part to a Republican senator who was absent for the final vote. Senator. Stan Bingham of Davidson County had voted against the abortion restriction last month. His absence meant bill supporters got the votes necessary for the override.

The House agreed to the override earlier this week.

Perdue vetoed the bill because she said it obstructs needlessly the patient-doctor relationship.

Social conservatives praised the bill, which also requires a woman consider an offer to see the shape of the fetus and hear a heartbeat.

• by Anonymous on Sep 4, 2011 at 12:45 AM
    I am so sick and tired of the rhetoric. For the record, not all Republicans are radical pro-life. Some of us have an intelligent and middle ground view. Some of us know there are circumstances that do warrant abortion. I'm fed up with blanket statements like "it's wrong", and there is NO reason for it ever, and most of all it is beyond old when the religious card gets pulled. Let me tell you what the bible says about it, if you never got down and studied it. *The life is in the blood* Well since the blood vessels are formed and the heart starts beating at 6 weeks and the system isn't fully in place till 8 weeks, that kind of settles the silly arguement about whether it is the taking of a life or not prior to that point. DOESN'T IT? To take it a bit further, the liver isn't producing red blood cells until 12 weeks, and the bone marrow isn't producing white blood cells until 23 weeks. Do you know anyone alive that doesn't produce blood cells? I don't. That's kind of what you need for.. blood. I just had to add that to this thread for the overly zealous types that think they have it all wrapped up in a neat package of limited scriptural education. I will also wager that most who argue that rape isn't a reason to allow it haven't been raped and would be crying for someone to help them if they were. If you're not female, and you aren't potentially a victim of the various risks and victimization I don't think you really have the right to have an influential voice in this.
  • by However on Aug 15, 2011 at 08:36 AM
    Let's just say we take away a woman's right to choose or prohibit that right. What's to stop her from drinking, doing drugs, eating badly, not taking necessary health precautions (such as following a strict diet or taking insulin if she turns out to have gestational diabetes for example) and then harming her baby who would be forced to live with a choice she made just because she didn't want to be pregnant/didn't care. As a mother, I know how difficult it is to do everything "right" during pregnancy and I wanted my children. I imagine it would be much more difficult for someone who doesn't want a baby and was not allowed to end the pregnancy. I agree with this policy, but for everyone who adamantly disagrees with abortion, it's important to consider the quality of life a child will have if they are damaged in utero and not wanted once born and those parents do not give them up.
  • by Happy the Way I Am Location: CA on Jul 30, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    Hooray for North Carolina! Abortion is WRONG! Women (and men) who will not use any form of birth control are imbeciles who think only of the immediate pleasure (or money) and do not have a thought to the tiny life they are destroying. I agree that it is the "mother's" body, but the baby is 1/2 the father's and he should be able to decide to raise the child if the mother(?) doesn't want it. I know there are some women who are not mother material and would make a lousy mother but there are some fathers who are great parents. The baby is INNOCENT and yet it is the one crucified because of the callous and uncaring mother. Women who abort because they "cannot afford the baby" use that excuse because it sounds good BUT in reality, it is not. There are many childless couples who want to adopt a child...especially a baby. So why do women want to murder an innocent child? Because they are selfish!
  • by Grandmother on Jul 30, 2011 at 08:51 AM
    How about a compromise, a 24 hour waiting period that includes reading literature and watching a recorded abortion AND the father has to be contacted and agree to the abortion. If he does not agree to the abortion but agrees to raise the child on his own, case closed, the women carries the child and the father raises the child. I lost my grandchild about 8 years ago to abortion and my son has never recovered. The fathers should have rights to, I realize it is a womens body, however, if they want to have sex without protecting themselves, why should that precious child pay the ultimate price because it is inconvenient or embarrassing for them to carry the child to term? Let the fathers have the rights they deserve and let them have their precious babies!!
      by Anonymous on Aug 5, 2011 at 10:17 AM in reply to Grandmother
      And if the woman dies in child birth, or has serious medical issues because of the birth, or is unable to carry another child, can we charge the man with murder, or assault, how about the state and politicans who support these polices? If a woman is forced to carry the child, should we charge the politicans who support this with manslaughter?
      by Anonymous on Sep 4, 2011 at 12:34 AM in reply to Grandmother
      Are you going to suggest contacting a rapist for his permission to abort what he did? You can't make an across the board law of that nature. That's the whole point.
  • by Woman Location: PITT on Jul 29, 2011 at 05:38 PM
    There is no reason for any woman to have an abortion. Birth control has been around longer than 28 years. Abortions should have dropped. But, people don't care. They rather skip using protection and jump right to abortion. Now we have people who have no respect for a child's life no matter what age of development. They enjoy killing too much. God will hold us all accountable one day for all the innocence blood that was shed. We are just as guilty as those who have abortions and kill children because we have set back and all people to justify their actions.
  • by protecting life is the only choice on Jul 29, 2011 at 05:11 PM
    To anonymous-the point I am making is that people are quick to rally behind the cause of mistreated and abused animals while an unborn child is viewed as a zygot, a mistake, a woman'S choice etc- there is no consideration of value of that unborn child. I guess u feel it is comparing apples to oranges because you don't believe the unborn to be worth consideration. I am fully aware that the rights of unborn animals aren't protected. It is my disgust at how society has their priorities screwed up and continues to label unborn children as zygots to make abortion seem ok.
      by Anonymous on Aug 5, 2011 at 10:22 AM in reply to protecting life is the only choice
      In early stages of development the unborn is a zygot/fetus before it's an actual thing. Before that what does it matter if we stop development on billions of them? They are not aware, they cannot survive on their own, they are simply a parasite that thrives off the nutrition of a host. When you start to have major brain activity and a fully developed set of internal organs then we can start talking about abortion becoming immoral and wrong. I wont argue in favor of 99% of third trimester abortion or late second trimester abortion. That I believe everybody (for the most part) considers wrong. That is a reasonably developed organism, and may very well be aware of it's existence.
  • by protecting life is the only choice on Jul 29, 2011 at 05:03 PM
  • by Anonymous on Jul 29, 2011 at 03:58 PM
    I can understan if the women get rape or have health problem to abort a baby but that be a little human bean inside that mama.How can anyone murder they own inocent babys like that.Why people agree with this abotion stuff beyond me.They must not care and have lost they soul or somthing.They probably messed up in the head and probably cry if they run over a bull frog or possum in the road an done even care about a baby.Some of ya be messed up in the head.
  • by Miranda Location: Greenville on Jul 29, 2011 at 03:34 PM
    This just proves that they will not learn from history...you can put any restriction you want on abortion but women have and will always find a way around these rules...at any cost potentially putting 2 lives in jeopardy!
      by Happy the Way I Am on Jul 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM in reply to Miranda
      I say if the woman is an accomplice in the murder of her baby, then she takes that risk of dying too. We don't need to cry about her foolish and bad choices. It is and was their choice to commit murder of an innocent life. If the baby had been born and she was part of it's murder, than she would go to prison. I cannot see the difference. There must be punishment for murder of an innocent child no matter what age...even from conception. Murder is actively taking part in the destruction of a human being.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    Shame on NC for imposing ultrasound to "sway"or guilt women seeking abortion into maintaining pregnancy. You can't mandate morality. And until the federal government deems abortion illegal on all levels, it is immoral for physicians to impose morality on their patients. What a step backwards. And just a sidenote-ProChoice does not equal Pro-Abortion. Most ridiculous analogy I've ever heard.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 126386393 - witn.com/a?a=126386393