"Dry Drowning"

By: Courtesy WRDW.com
By: Courtesy WRDW.com

GOOSE CREEK, SC--- A 10-year-old boy is dead after drowning on dry land.

It happened when the little boy took a nap after swimming in a pool in Goose Creek, South Carolina -- near Charleston.

During his swim he apparently ingested a lot of water. But that water didn't go into his lungs until he went to sleep an hour later.

His mother said she never saw this coming. "I feel like someone reached in and grabbed my heart and just yanked it out."

Drowning can happen 72 hours after a child swallows a lot of water, so it's important to know the warning signs.

Shortness of breath, a persistent cough, lack of awareness, tiredness or anxiousness are all symptoms.

You should get the person to an emergency room as soon as possible.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by kinston Location: nc on Jun 10, 2008 at 03:54 PM
    This is such a tragedy. I never want to imagine what this boys family is going through. I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • by Johnette Location: Mississippi on Jun 10, 2008 at 02:24 PM
    This is my first time hearing of anything called "dry drowning" and it's really disturbing. I'm a mother of two young children and I just recently purchased a pool for them but this story has me rethinking my actions. The symptoms are common and it may be difficult to really monitor them. I've basically decided that if my children get in the pool (although I'm always close by or in the pool with them) that I will keep them up and active for a couple hours afterwards. My prayers goes out to this family. I couldn't imagine their heartache and pain right now. This tragedy will teach many others however though because if someone had initially come to me with this condition, I wouldn't have believed them. I just hate that a young life had to be taken in the process to give me knowledge of something like this.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 10, 2008 at 11:13 AM
    This is sincerely sad. I can't believe such a thing occurred. My prayers are with the family!
  • by Biotechnologist Location: kinston on Jun 10, 2008 at 07:55 AM
    David these over paid scientist are saving whales and turtles and preventing drilling for oil on the coast to lower our gas prices, they do not have time to tell us something that will actually help us out in the end. Is this what you are saying? Well next time you decide to bash what scientist are doing you need to find out what they are actually doing, such as saving lives with medical inventions, cancer treatments, new better drugs for our kids, etc etc etc.....
  • by David Location: Manteo on Jun 9, 2008 at 08:58 AM
    Should this not be something that those over paid scientists could study and bring to the attention of people around the world? I am curious of how many times this has happened in the past? I am curious if there are signs that could have prevented this. My children used to take naps shortly after swimming. Luckily, we never had to experience what this poor family must be going through. This is something better for those scientists to study besides if lettuce causes acne! Parents around the world deserve to know about this.
  • by MO3 Location: Pink Hill on Jun 9, 2008 at 06:25 AM
    My heart goes out to that mother and the whole family of that boy. I have a 10yr old son and would not know what to do if anything happened to him. MOM, My prayers are with you. Hang in there.
  • by ally Location: grantsboro on Jun 8, 2008 at 04:23 AM
    reading this shocked me! I've never heard of anything like this before. Thanks so much for educating this mom and grandma on something to look out for when I take the kids swimming. My heart and prayers go out to the mother.
  • by voter Location: nc on Jun 7, 2008 at 04:28 PM
    i've seen this on the job. right out of the blue, minimal indications of trauma, if any. the most attentive parent there is, would not be aware of a problem..and a piece of you dies with the child, very tragic. no fingers to be pointed.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 19629494 - witn.com/a?a=19629494
Gray Television, Inc.