WITN  | Greenville, NC  | News, Weather, Sports

Funeral For Wife, Husband Still In Critical Condition Following Edgecombe County Fire

More Video...

An elderly woman who died in her burning Edgecombe County home Tuesday will be laid to rest, while her husband remains in critical condition at a burn center.

According to family, 73-year-old Judith Corbett will be laid to rest Friday. The funeral service will be held at Carlisle Funeral Home in Tarboro at 3:00 pm. Visitation is an hour earlier.

The family says they planned to bury Mrs. Corbett in the dress she wore during her granddaughter Hillary's wedding seven months ago. However, the dress was so badly damaged by the smoke it could not be used. So David's Bridal in Greenville gave them the same dress for no charge.

Robert Corbett Jr. remains at the Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill.


Funeral arrangements have been finalized for a woman who died inside her burning Edgecombe County home Tuesday.

According to family, 73-year-old Judith Corbett will be laid to rest Friday. The funeral service will be held at Carlisle Funeral Home in Tarboro at 3:00 pm. Visitation is an hour earlier.

The family says they planned to bury Mrs. Corbette in the dress she wore during her granddaughter Hillary's wedding seven months ago. However, the dress was so badly damaged by the smoke it could not be used. So David's Bridal in Greenville exchanged the dress for the exact same one for no charge.



PREVIOUS STORY, December 10, 2013
An elderly woman was killed and her husband critically injured after a fire at their home early this morning.

Edgecombe County Sheriff James Knight says the fire was reported around 5:10 a.m. on West Green Street in Macclesfield. The sheriff says when emergency crews first arrived, they found the husband outside, suffering from burns and smoke inhalation.

They found 73-year-old Judith Corbett dead inside the home, while the husband, Robert Corbett, Jr., was transferred to the Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill where he is in critical condition.

County EMS officials say two firefighters were also injured fighting the blaze. One suffered chest pains, while the other injured his ankle.

Emergency management says preliminary findings indicate it was an accidental fire.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 235237651 - witn.com/a?a=235237651