Candlelight Service Set For Slain Norfolk Sailor

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press
Friends and family members of a sailor killed in a shooting last week in Norfolk, Va., are remembering him at a candlelight memorial service in Hagerstown.

Courtesy: WAVY.com

Friends and family members of a sailor killed in a shooting last week in Norfolk, Va., are remembering him at a candlelight memorial service in Hagerstown.

The candlelight service Thursday night in Hagerstown City Park honors Petty Officer 2nd Class Mark Mayo. Mayo grew up in the western Maryland city after his family moved there from the Washington, D.C., area.

The Navy says the 24-year-old sailor saved another sailor's life by jumping between her and a civilian gunman who was trying to board a ship. The gunman, civilian truck driver Jeffrey Savage, was killed by Navy security forces responding to the scene.

Savage was a convicted felon from Virginia who had been convicted of voluntary manslaughter in a 2005 shooting in North Carolina.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. )


PREVIOUS STORY:

A Navy official familiar with the investigation says the civilian who shot and killed a sailor aboard a guided-missile destroyer is a 35-year-old man who records show is a convicted felon.

The official identified the shooter as Jeffrey Tyrone Savage on Thursday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to publicly speak about the case.

Savage was killed by Navy security forces aboard the USS Mahan after he disarmed the ship's petty officer of the watch and used her gun to shoot Petty Officer 2nd Class Mark Mayo. Mayo was providing security at Naval Station Norfolk.

The Navy says Savage used a transportation credential to get on base, although he wasn't supposed to be there the night of the shooting.

North Carolina records show Savage was convicted of voluntary manslaughter in 2008.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. )


PREVIOUS STORY:

A civilian suspect approached a destroyer docked at the world’s largest naval base late Monday, disarmed a petty officer who was on watch and fatally shot a sailor, according to the Navy.

Navy security forces then killed the suspect, who was authorized to be at Naval Station Norfolk and did not have his own weapon, according to the Navy’s statement. No other injuries were reported.

The male sailor was shot about 11:20 p.m. on the USS Mahan, a guided-missile destroyer, base spokeswoman Terri Davis said Tuesday. She said she couldn’t say whether the suspect had permission to be onboard.

The base was briefly on lockdown. Davis would not describe any other circumstances of the shooting but said the scene was secure as of early Tuesday.

The Navy will release both men’s names once their families are notified, Davis said.

Aside from the pier where the Mahan was docked, operations had returned to normal at the base, with counselors available, the Navy said in a statement. But most enlisted sailors on the Mahan — docked at the first of 13 main piers — were not to report for duty Tuesday. Base traffic was typical for a Tuesday morning.

Sailors gathered for a training session — unrelated to the shooting — and began with a moment of silence for their colleague. “We’ll find out what happened, and we’ll prevent that from occurring again,” Adm. Bill Gortney, commander of US Fleet Forces Command, based in Norfolk, told them.

The shooting on the Mahan comes about a month after the Navy held anti-terrorism and force protection exercises on bases around the US, including an active-shooter drill at the Norfolk station.

To get on the base, civilians must be escorted or have identification that allows them to be there. Authorized civilians can include Department of Defense employees, contractors and military family members. Davis would not elaborate on how the suspect was authorized to get on base.

Each base entrance is guarded, and motorists present IDs. Inspections are rare. All 13 piers have additional security forces. As part of ongoing security efforts, handheld ID scanners were implemented this year at Navy bases in the region, including the Norfolk station.

The shooting comes months after a September incident at the Washington Navy Yard in which a gunman — identified as a contractor and former Navy reservist — killed 12 civilian workers before being shot to death.

The Norfolk base covers more than 6,000 acres and is the home port for 64 ships, according to information the Navy provided in February. About 46,000 military members and 21,000 civilian government employees and contractors are assigned to the base and its ships, according to Navy figures.

The base also is the home port for a Navy hospital ship, docked at Pier 1 with the Mahan.

In February, the Norfolk base got a new commanding officer, Capt. Robert E. Clark Jr. He took over for Capt. David A. Culler Jr., who was set to retire in May. Clark had served as the installation’s executive officer since 2012.

The Mahan, commissioned in 1998, has a crew of nearly 300. In September, it returned to Norfolk after a deployment of more than eight months that included being positioned in the eastern Mediterranean Sea for a potential strike against Syria.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Previous Story

A base spokeswoman says a sailor was shot and killed at Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia and security forces killed the male civilian suspect.

Terri Davis says the shooting happened around 11:20 p.m. Monday aboard the USS Mahan, a destroyer. Davis would not describe the circumstances of the shooting but said the scene is secure.

Davis says the two killed were both males but she didn't have any other information on them. She could not say if the civilian had permission to be aboard the ship or not. No other injuries were reported.

The base - the largest naval installation in the world - was briefly put on lockdown after the shooting as a precaution, but it has since been lifted.

The shooting is under investigation.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved)


PREVIOUS STORY:

A base spokeswoman says two people were killed in a shooting at Naval Station Norfolk.

Terri Davis says the shooting happened around 11:20 p.m. Monday at Pier 1 on the base. Davis would not describe the circumstances of the shooting but said the scene is secure, no shooter was taken into custody and no one is being sought by authorities.

Davis says the two killed were a sailor and a civilian. No other injuries were reported.

The base was briefly put on lockdown after the shooting but that has since been lifted.

The shooting is under investigation.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 252156341 - witn.com/a?a=252156341