WITN  | Greenville, NC  | News, Weather, Sports

Greenville Hotel Reopens After Natural Gas Malfunction


A Greenville hotel that was evacuated Tuesday morning is now open for business once again.

The Home-Towne Suites on West Arlington Boulevard was closed after carbon monoxide detectors sounded.

Between 30 and 35 guests were evacuated to another hotel after the fire department discovered a natural gas leak.

The leak was in a hotel's water heater, which was in a separate utility building. The city closed the hotel until repairs could be made.

The hotel said late Wednesday morning repairs were made and inspectors had just left. They are now back open for business.


Previous Story

A leaking water heater closed down a Greenville hotel after carbon monoxide and natural gas were detected inside this morning.

Fire-rescue crews were called to the Home-Towne Suites on West Arlington Boulevard around 10:20 a.m. after carbon monoxide detectors sounded.

Battalion Chief Shannon said after the gases were detected inside they decided to evacuate the building. There were no injuries or complaints from anyone inside the hotel, according to Chief Terry.

There were between 30 and 35 guests at the hotel. A city bus relocated them to the Microtel Inn on Moye Boulevard. Ironically, the hotel is used by the Red Cross to house fire victims, and at least one of those evacuated fell into that category.

Greenville Utilities says a natural gas water heater, which was in a separate utility building, malfunctioned and caused the leak.

GUC shut off the heater and told the hotel that a contractor would need to come in to make repairs.

The fire department says the hotel will remain closed indefinitely.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 250793731 - witn.com/a?a=250793731