Fire heavily damaged a Greenville sports shop and police tell WITN it is a case of arson.
Fire broke out at Gordon's Golf, Ski & Snowboards on East Arlington Boulevard around 8:50 p.m. Thursday night.
While firefighters were able to get the fire out in less than a half-hour, they say a majority of the 7,000 square foot building was destroyed.
Sgt. Joe Friday says there is now a criminal investigation into the fire.
Owner Gordon Fulp told investigators the store had closed for the day by 7:00 p.m. The fire department says the building's large amount of combustible material inside, and the amount of time the fire was allowed to burn before being reported by a passerby contributed to the speed and devastation of the fire.
Gordon's has been a fixture in Greenville for the past 41 years. The Arlington Boulevard building was constructed in 1997 and the owner says they're trying to figure out what to do next.
A fire broke out at Gordon's Golf, Ski, & Snowboards store about 9:00 p.m. Thursday at 207 E. Arlington Boulevard in Greenville.
Traffic was flowing again on Arlington Boulevard by about 10:40 p.m. and firefighters were still on scene.
No injuries have been reported, and we have no details yet on a possible cause for the fire.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.