FIRST ON WITN: Elderly Couple Loses Home In Overnight Fire

Fire crews said a discarded cigarette destroyed an elderly couple's home overnight.

Commander Kevin Scully told WITN fire crews got the call to 1012 Jefferson Drive in Kinston at 8:48PM on Tuesday.

Scully said both the elderly man and woman made it out of the home safely, but their cat was not found. Scully said with all doors open, he hopes the cat ran out safely and will return to the couple.

Once crews arrived, they battled the house fire and found it started in the bedroom.

Investigators determined a discarded cigarette in the couple's bedroom ignited the fire.

The fire has been ruled accidental.

The home is a total loss.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 191959121 - witn.com/a?a=191959121