WITN  | Greenville, NC  | News, Weather, Sports

Cooking Fire Forces Father, Adult Son From Greenville Duplex


Greenville Fire-Rescue crews battled an early Wednesday morning fire at a two-story duplex.

Dispatchers said the fire was at 112 Shiloh Dr., Duplex B, which is in a neighborhood off Greenville Blvd. down from the Greenville Grande movie theater.

Fire Chief Milton Carney told WITN the fire started in the kitchen as an unattended cooking fire around 4 a.m.

The displaced father and adult son told WITN's Carly Swain they had been boiling water on an old stove when the flames kicked up.

A working smoke detector alerted the father and son to the flames, and Chief Carney said without that detector the fire could have been a lot worse.

No one was in the adjoining duplex, A, when the fire broke out.

The flames were out by 4:45 a.m.

The duplex was left with heavy fire and smoke damage, according to firefighters at the scene.

Greenville Police had part of Shiloh Dr. blocked until fire crews cleared the area by 6:00 Wednesday morning.

The victims said they lost everything.

The Red Cross was on scene before the sun came up, supplying the two men with a hotel to stay in temporarily.

No one was hurt.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 252398201 - witn.com/a?a=252398201