Some renters are learning the hard way about the importance of renter's insurance, after a fire displaced 16 people and their families.
Fire crews were called around 12:15 p.m. Tuesday to Azalea Gardens Apartments on Gum Branch Road in Jacksonville. No one was hurt.
On Wednesday, renters were picking up the pieces and realizing how much stuff they lost.
Resident Carla McCray does not have renter's insurance. She says she lots thousands of dollars worth of clothing, shoes and bedding.
McCray says, "I never even really thought about it like eh what's going to happen. Most people say that's not going to happen to me."
Management says there are some renters who did have insurance. Experts say renter's insurance can cost as little as $10 per month.
The Fire Marshal says the preliminary investigation indicates the fire began after an electrical malfunction. They say it started in a closet, which housed a water heater and electrical panel.
The Red Cross helped 25 people affected by the blaze. Only one needed a hotel Tuesday night. We're told everyone else stayed with family, friends, or a vacant apartment at Azalea Gardens.