Search Ends For Missing Diver

More Video...

JACKSONVILLE (AP) - The Coast Guard has ended its search for a diver missing off our coast last week.

The man was last seen after he dove in the ocean about 35 miles south of Beaufort Inlet on Friday.

Petty Officer 3rd Class David Weydert tells The Daily News of Jacksonville that the search has ended after Coast Guard helicopters from Elizabeth City and rescue boats from Fort Macon searched almost 900 square miles off the coast.

The name of the 65-year-old man has not yet been released as relatives are still being notified.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


PREVIOUS STORY:

Rescue crews are searching for a missing diver at a popular dive site off the Crystal Coast.

Atlantic Beach Deputy Fire Chief Mike Simpson says their divers are en route to the Schurz shipwreck site, some 32 miles south of the Beaufort Inlet.

They are aboard the Kodiak Island, a 47-foot Coast Guard cutter.

Simpson says the 65-year-old man was part of a group from a 90-foot pleasure craft that has been diving at the site. Diving depth at the location is around 100 feet.

The Coast Guard says it also has a helicopter from Elizabeth City and the Marine Corps PEDRO helicopter from Cherry Point searching for the man as well as their cutter.

They say the "Glen Ellen" contacted them and reported the diver had become separated from his partner and missing for more than an hour.

The call came in around 1:15 p.m.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 264942651 - witn.com/a?a=264942651
Gray Television, Inc.