WITN  | Greenville, NC  | News, Weather, Sports

Ariel Castro Pleads Guilty In Ohio Kidnap Case

A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has pleaded guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Ariel Castro pleaded guilty Friday to 937 counts. In exchange, prosecutors are recommending the 53-year-old be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro says a pornography addiction and "sexual problem" have taken a toll on his mind. He also says he was sexually abused as a child.

A judge accepted the pleas and declared Castro guilty. Sentencing is Aug. 1.

Castro had been awaiting trial on a 977-count indictment. The allegations include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004. They escaped from Castro's house May 6.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 217104091 - witn.com/a?a=217104091