Federal park officials have told a judge who said it was technically illegal to drive on Outer Banks beaches they are working on rules for off-road-vehicles.
The Cape Hatteras National Seashore says the response to U.S. District Judge Terrence Boyle was delivered Wednesday.
Park Superintendent Mike Murray says the National Park Service filed a notice June 28th in the Federal Register to develop special off road vehicle management regulations. The process includes meeting with everyone interested in the issue.
Boyle said last month in a reckless driving decision the park service didn't have a formal management plan for off road vehicles and that made their use illegal.
The park says it will continue to allow off-road driving on some beaches while a plan is formulated.