A local man didn't know what he had in his possession except that when he opened the envelope, his face started burning. His first thought? Possibly anthrax according to hospital officials. Pungo District Hospital officials say a man was admitted after becoming ill following contact with white powder inside a piece of mail. Luckily, hospital officials say staff response turned out to be practice work and not a response to a real terrorist attack. Emergency management officials say the corrosive substance was a sample mailed from a chemical marketing company out of Maryland called DBK-Scentsable. County Emergency Management Coordinator George Sullivan tells WITN the powder is used for sanitizing holding tanks for sewage on boats.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.