Hanging out of a 9Th story window in Clement Hall on ECU's campus, a freshman student was gasping for air as she waited to be rescued Wednesday afternoon from the thick black smoke that filled the room. A fire had broken out at the dorm around 3 o'clock. Firefighters had to perform a high-rise rescue sending a ladder up into the air more than 100 feet to get the girl. Firefighters say Rachelle Lowry was calm and not rattled by the whole incident. They tell us she suffered from only minor smoke inhalation and will be just fine. We spoke to students in the building at the time of the fire. They told us they thought it was just a fire drill and were stunned when they found out there really was a fire. ECU officials at the News and Information Bureau confirm smoke detectors and alarms are installed in all residence halls and the smoke detectors and alarms worked as designed during Wednesday's fire.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.