Eight people at a Raleigh motel have been taken to a hospital after being exposed to carbon monoxide from a faulty water heater.
Raleigh Fire Department Division Chief James Poole told the News & Observer of Raleigh on Tuesday that investigators found a heavy concentration of carbon monoxide in the laundry room of a Super 8 motel. The broken water heater was in the room.
Emergency workers found out about the leak just before 4:30 a.m. Tuesday when five hotel guests in a vehicle flagged down an ambulance and said they were sick. Workers determined they had symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and took them to WakeMed's Raleigh campus.
Emergency workers evacuated the 37 people in the motel. Three more people were taken to WakeMed for treatment.
Copyright 2015 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.