A southern Utah woman is recovering after being scalped while riding on a go-cart.
Dawn Tiatia was riding go-carts at her daughter's birthday party at a park in Saint George, Utah, a few weeks ago. A big chunk of her hair got caught in the machine's drive shaft and was ripped off her head.
After spending several days in the hospital, she made a full recovery. The park says there are signs warning about long hair getting caught in the machines.
This is not an isolated incident. Two years ago the Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a warning for riders to immediately stop using these types of go-carts until they can be retro-fitted because of this problem.
Experts say to avoid this type of injury riders should: Wear a hair net, make sure your helmet is fitted to you so that loose hair doesn't fall out. Not wear loose clothing of any kind. Also look at the go-cart to see if it has an axle cover, chain cover, and engine cover to prevent anything being sucked into the go-cart.