Some consider them friendly fireworks. Doctors we talked with say sparklers are anything but.
Sparklers are responsible for a number of severe burns every Fourth of July holiday because they can reach temperatures up to 2,000 degrees. However, vendors say there are some safety measures in place.
Some sparklers have metal rods, which remain hot after they finish burning, and can pose a risk. There are also sparklers with wooden sticks, which cool on their own after the sparkler is extinguished, but that's still not enough for doctors, even with precautions in place.
They say fireworks should be left up to the professionals.