Faulty Christmas lights are being blamed for an apartment fire that killed a 5-year-old Burlington boy.
Burlington Deputy Fire Chief Michael Willets said Jaden Miles Shoffner died in the Tuesday morning fire. Willets said firefighters found the boy in the apartment, but were unable to revive him. He was pronounced dead at Alamance Regional Medical Center.
Moses Edward Shoffner was taken to the burn unit at UNC Hospitals, where a supervisor said he's in critical condition Tuesday evening.
The apartment unit was completely destroyed and five neighboring units sustained smoke and water damage. Willets said 12 other units in the building were protected by a firewall and were not damaged.
The Red Cross is assisting those who were displaced by the fire.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.