Toy Recall Has Local Shoppers Rethinking Christmas Gifts

The latest toy recall has parents across Eastern Carolina rethinking what they might buy for gifts this holiday season.

Aqua Dots was taken off the shelves Wednesday night and returned boxes were in plain view on store counters. At the New Bern Walmart, many customers told us they were skeptical about toys currently being manufactured overseas. Although shopper Michelle Stout's daughter came out with a toy cookie monster, she and many other shoppers are switching it up this Christmas.

Aqua Dots, which is made in China, were recalled because a coating used to make the toy can be fatal if ingested. We're told that the coating contains the date rape drug GHB.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 8, 2007 at 12:20 PM
    boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooochina
  • by rhonda Location: chocowinity on Nov 9, 2007 at 10:40 AM
    In this case it was not the parents fault.If you read more about this it seems that this was more about using an unsafe product that cost about a fifth of what the paste component that should have been used would have costed.Just a case of greed it seems to me.It would be wonderful to boycott all toys coming from china but unfortunately it seems that about 75% of my son's toys are from China.Until there is more strict guidelines that are actually followed then this is probably the new norm.
  • by Paul Location: Manns Harbor on Nov 8, 2007 at 07:09 PM
    Where was the mother's instinct of knowledge to know that this toy was not made for a small child? She could have clearly checked this item before she purchased it to see that it had small parts and that ALL infants stick objects in their mouths. I am a parent of two, and when we buy our children stuffed animals that were recommended for their age group, we would tug at the fur and other objects on the product before we thought about buying them. If the fur came out just by tugging on it just a little bit, WE WOULD NOT BUY IT! The parents of this child were both uneducated in protecting their child's welfare and safety. There should not have been a recall on this toy or on any other toys with the same issues. When it comes to this issue, it is the parents responsibility to use common knowledge to test it properly before buying. Any normal parent would use common knowledge even if the manufacturer says it's safe for the age group. I am very disapointed in the parents.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 11130716 - witn.com/a?a=11130716
Gray Television, Inc.