High levels of copper were detected at Bridgeton Elementary in Craven County.
School officials say the problem was first spotted earlier this year when blue stains showed up on restroom floors and sinks. The stains were thought to be chlorine disinfectant. When they returned last month, officials decided to test the water.
Water samples taken by the Environmental Protection Agency showed copper levels above the recommended levels in the drinking water at the school. Officials have brought in bottled water while they try to figure out what's causing the elevated levels.
Health officials say if copper is ingested in large amounts over a long period of time, it can cause stomach and intestinal problems such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps.