Teena Marie, Known As 'Ivory Queen of Soul,' Dies

A publicist says Motown singer Teena Marie, who was known as the "Ivory Queen of Soul," has died at age 54.

The confirmation came Sunday from publicist Jasmine Vega, who worked with Teena Marie on her last album. Her manager, Mike Gardner, also confirmed her death to CNN.

Marie developed a lasting legacy her silky soul pipes and hits like "Lovergirl," "Square Biz," and "Fire and Desire" with mentor Rick James.

She was certainly not the first white act to sing soul music. However, she was arguably among the most gifted and respected, and was thoroughly embraced by black audiences.

• by Neo Location: Reality on Jan 2, 2011 at 07:14 PM
    "Little Al", I don't care how you disrespected your late uncle, you'll have to answer for that. I don't care what little corners of the music world in which like to reside. The bottom line is, Teena Marie was a small time player in the big scheme of things. Your lack of grasp on reality is common due to mass media and government "feel good" brainwashing and isn't impressive one way or the other. A sheep is a sheep.
  • by BIG AL Location: Greene Co on Jan 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    I want to say to all the haters Music is music. Rock and roll came from Gospel the Blues. It is not about who is black and who is white. I am a white man who happens to love music of all flavors except hard core rap. I do not believe in Cop Killers and HO smacking. Music comes from the heart it knows no colors. So get over the Dolly Parton comments from Lavon or the other racist comments about black and white. I'll bet if you close your eyes on some of the music like my late racist uncle did he thought Charlie Pride was white until someone bought the album with Kiss and Angel good morning. He hit the roof called him every nasty name in the book.I lost all respect for him after that . I played a lot of Muddy Waters and Jimi Hendrix around him after that . As well as Hank Jr and Stevie Ray Vaughn. So if you did not like her music or any other person because of their color keep it too yourself. God bless America and Music it is the stuff that comes from the heart!
  • by Neo Location: Reality on Dec 29, 2010 at 06:12 AM
    There are people who have won gold medals for endurance swimming and in the small, tiny little world of endurance swimming, they are well known. Most people have never heard of the medal winners or the sport. Teena Marie was big in her very little world. Most people have never heard of her and she had to find an obscure niche in order to succeed with only marginal talent. Have to hand it to her, for a identity crisis poster girl, she found her spot.
  • by Endurance Swimmer Location: Greenville on Dec 28, 2010 at 11:09 PM
    Hey Audra! Good post, I agree with you 100%! Have any of you guys have 4 grammys? I think not! Have some respect for the woman, maybe she wasn't perfect, but who is? I myself, like Teena Marie, great singer!!
  • by Neo Location: Reality on Dec 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    She was D list, at best. Anonymous, I got a hobby for you. Close the hole, stop sticking your nose in grown folks business. Go to bed.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 28, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    To the people making stupid comments both ways - YOU ALL SOUND STUPID. You ALL need to get a hobby.
  • by Nelson Location: Greenville on Dec 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    Pretty sure she was reasonable respected and liked by the soul/rhythm and blues community. She was talented and had a nice voice. Sorry to hear of her passing.
  • by Lavon Location: Goldsboro on Dec 28, 2010 at 09:20 AM
    I bet if it was that fake breasted old wrinkled up Dolly Parton or however you spell her name, you wouldn't be saying that.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 28, 2010 at 09:18 AM
    I heard her....unfortunately.
  • by .. Location: . on Dec 28, 2010 at 07:09 AM
    the people who posted about her not being talented obviously never heard her sing, have some respect people!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112496784 - witn.com/a?a=112496784