Randy Travis Arrested Outside Texas Church

Country singer Randy Travis has apologized after being arrested on a charge of public intoxication outside a North Texas church.

Denton County sheriff's spokesman Tom Reedy says police in the town of Sanger arrested Travis early Monday after spotting a vehicle parked in front of a church and finding an open bottle of wine and Travis smelling of alcohol.

Reedy says Travis, whose hits include "Forever and Ever, Amen," was brought to the Denton County jail about 1:30 a.m. and released six hours later.

The singer, who lives in the small town of Tioga near Sanger, apologized in a statement to The Associated Press "for what resulted following an evening of celebrating the Super Bowl."

Travis, who launches a concert tour Friday, says he's "committed to being responsible and accountable."

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by Praisesinger Location: Newport on Feb 7, 2012 at 04:38 PM
    People make mistakes. I have no stones to throw. None are without sin, so no one else should have any stones to throw either.
  • by YaYa Location: ENC on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    Perhaps he was in the mood to be "Digging up Bones" and needed a few drinks to get started. I'm sure there are a lot of people who have done worse....I read about it in the WDN all of the time.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 7, 2012 at 05:32 AM
    Randy!!! Now go home and write a song about it!
  • by porkchop Location: g'ville on Feb 7, 2012 at 02:34 AM
    After sitting through the Madonna halftime show I had an uncontollable urge to get hammered.
  • by Cindy Location: Richlands on Feb 6, 2012 at 05:53 PM
    Say it aint so Randy!!! I had more faith in you than that. Your still my favorite country singer anyway.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 6, 2012 at 04:53 PM
    Why is this news in Eastern North Carolina? Slow news day?
      by Anonymous on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM in reply to
      Because Eastern North Carolina is physically attached to the rest of the planet. Some people are actually educated enough to know this and want to hear about events in other locations.
      by Anonymous on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:32 PM in reply to
      Because in ENC Randy is someone to emulate; which is why I need to get out of this place!
        by Anonymous on Feb 8, 2012 at 08:42 AM in reply to
        anonymous......I-95 goes in both directions and so does I-40
  • by yukon on Feb 6, 2012 at 04:29 PM
    I know a friend named randy and one named travis and both love to party but they cant sing But I hope was a GIANTS Fan
  • by Anonymous on Feb 6, 2012 at 04:17 PM
    Leave Randy alone!
  • by Carl Kolchack Location: Pitt County on Feb 6, 2012 at 02:48 PM
    Randy Travis is a worthless piece of trash who turned his back on the very folks who made him famous. Just ask any WV Coal Miner what they think of Randy Travis...
      by Cactus on Feb 6, 2012 at 04:17 PM in reply to Carl Kolchack
      I'm game, what does Randy owe the WV coal miners?
        by Brier on Feb 6, 2012 at 06:00 PM in reply to Cactus
        HA!Hahahahahahaha!His daughter maybe?
          by Anonymous on Feb 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM in reply to Brier
          I'm sure Randy doesn't care. LOL
      by WOW on Feb 6, 2012 at 09:18 PM in reply to Carl Kolchack
      Randy Travis is NOT from West Virginia. He was borned and raised on a farm two miles from my wife's parents in Marshville, NC --about 30 miles east of Charlotte on HGY 74. They all knew him personally. This was a mistake on his part, and I wish him well. Everyone that KNOWS him know him to be a man who turned his life around at a very early age and is always very nice and generous with everyone he meets. I sure don't know what he did to upset WVA coal miners, but he sure has done a lot for everyone and every worthy charity that he has come in contact with.
      by Anonymous on Feb 7, 2012 at 05:11 AM in reply to Carl Kolchack
      Carl, zip it and go back down the deep dark shaft you crawled out of.....Randy is a good man.
        by Carl Kolchack on Feb 7, 2012 at 06:09 AM in reply to
        Randy Travis is a worthless piece of trash who joined with hippie protesters in WV against coal miners.
          by Anonymous on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM in reply to Carl Kolchack
          Worthless piece of trash? Who died and promoted you to God Almighty's throne? Worthless.. seriously. How about reserving harsh terms like that for rapists and murderers? I'm willing to bet you don't want anyone to see the skeletons in your closet while you're acting like nobody is allowed to make mistakes.
      by Anonymous on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM in reply to Carl Kolchack
      The definition of "worthless piece of trash" seems more suited to armchair rangers that post rude comments about someone they've never met and likely never will. Everyone has cheers and jeers from somewhere. We're all allowed to have our own personal and political stances on anything in the country. I'm sure there's something you've done that somebody would disagree with. You're allowed. So is he. I also don't think this story has anything to do with coal miners. Wait... let me check it again....... nope, not a thing.
        by Carl Kolchack on Feb 7, 2012 at 01:27 PM in reply to
        W.O.R.T.H.L.E.S.S PIECE OF TRASH...
  • by Frank Location: The East RULES on Feb 6, 2012 at 02:45 PM
    At least Mr. Travis wasn't engaged in drug dealing, raping, robbing, murdering people like some of these "esteemed" rappers!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138797519 - witn.com/a?a=138797519